Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Guy Question >

New Guy Question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Guy Question

Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Guy Question

As I've said, I'm new to bows and have purchased an "inexpensive bow" until I see if bow hunting is for me. I may try it out during the last day or two of the hunting season but more than likely I will wait for the opener next yr. I've been practicing at 10, 20, and 30 yds and am hitting what I shoot at but have heard that it is different 20 or 30 f00t up a tree.
I was wondering if you folk sight your bows in from ground level or from a height such as you will be in the woods . . .or does it matter?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Guy Question

sight mine in from the ground and aim for the exit hole ( where you want it to exit) and shoot behind the shoulder
Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leaf, just sight your bow in from the ground and then practice from your stand height. I am aiming right whereI want it to hit from my stand keeping in mind where the arrow will exit. ( angels etc.) Glad your picking up the bow. Chris
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

On slower bows you may have to compensate for the height difference. But with todays faster bows the diff is hardly noticeable.

Climb up in a tree and check out how your bow does at known yardages. That way you will know if you need to make adjustments.

I shoot a fast bow so I just sight in on the ground and do not worry about it. My point of impact will not be off more then an inch or 2 at most.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM

I sight in from ground level. Once I get her sighted in, then I practice shots from both the ground and tree stand level. That way I know I can make the shot out in the real world.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bow doesn't care if it's in a tree.

The key to shooting from an elevated position is to bend at your waist and do everything else the same.This holds true for shooting uphill as well.

Shoot the distance it is from the base of the tree,and bend at the waist and nothing changes.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks folks, thats some good stuff for a newby!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

I only practice with the broadhead I'm going to use. I always like to go out and sling a couple @ my deer target before I head out. When seasons over I will switch back to field tips just to practice with.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a harness.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:25 AM

well i have a diamond rapture an i been shooting bow's for a while now few years an i always sight my bow from the ground an then i have a sling on treestand i use it is 17 feet in the tree so when i sight my bow from the ground i always climb in it an try it out i always shoot about 12-20 arrows out from each pin you should try to take out your 10 yard pin and make a 20 30 and 40-45 yard pin u rarely use the 10 yard pin i had to learn that the hard way alot of times when u sight it from the ground it is a tad off from the higher point of view so always ground sight it an then tree sight it to about the point of height u will be in a treestand wont be much off but it depends on how you shoot to an the suroundings try to climb in the woods first because the woods make the yardage off 30 yards out of the woods seem less more then in the woods so always take a decoy target an try that in the woods it helps alot good luck this season an good luck with your bow and a tip to u. u can take it or leave it but dont buy a cheap bow spend 449 dollars an get your self a diamond rapture you will not regret it happy hunting

Quick Reply: New Guy Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.