Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Keeping Landowners happy >

Keeping Landowners happy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping Landowners happy

Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Keeping Landowners happy

Any land that i ask permission to hunt on the owner gets either a pack of elk meat or a bottle of homemade wine, sometimes both. We own a fair chunk of land and let people hunt on and have had just about everything. Christmas cards, meat, bottle, one fella shoulder mounted my buck for free but the all time best is the guys that i elk hunt with. They show up at my place and park their trailers in the yard at the end of august just when we are 2nd cut haying and gettin primed for harvest. Yep this year we had the lil guy mowing lawn, i was hauling bales, rob was hauling grain for my dad while he was combining and les is a journeyman welder so he was ripping out every peice of farm equipment we have and welding up any breaks. I tell ya these boys worked like dogs for us this year but yet were always the first to offer help. Think they actually enjoyed helping out and it seemed to bring us closer together, not meaning to sound weird but was alot more besides an elk hunt for us, working as a team etc and to look back at what we could do in a day was amazing. Can't beat slave labor
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....where to begin.....

I have exclusive rights to hunt the land I hunt. I also ONLY bowhunt. That's the only way I'd be in the properties I hunt, anyways. My honey hole is partly pasture land (No horses for a couple of years, though). I make a trip around the pasture once a year to clear deadfalls...limbs...vines and such from his fenceline. I also give he and his wife a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. The other landowners.....I just went to, last night, and hand-delivered Moravian cookies and a nice card. I spent a little time with the ones that were home.....and I'm GOLDEN for next season.

By ALL MEANS show these people respect. I'd pay THOUSANDS of dollars to be able to hunt their land.....and it costs me VERY little to show my appreciation. It's simply hard to put into $$ amounts what the priviledge is worth.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some of the land I hunt is right around the corner(but borders)from my golf course. My landowner has about 6 acres of actual lawn that he cuts (takes him forever). He's no spring chicken either. So I offered to have one of my guys come over on a weekly basis with our rough mower which is a 12 ft. pull behind rotary mower. What takes about 2-3 hours for him we knock off in about 20 minutes. We're over there cleaning up limbs or trees that get knocked down from storms, winter damage etc..... Try to make it where he doesnt' have to do any physical labor outside. I'm the son he never had
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

NY...I forgot about that.

My landowner's family cemetery is adjacent to our home. We keep the outside of the fence area mowed for him all Summer. It takes us 15 extra minutes on the rider.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 AM

The majority of landowners around here don't hunt, and they don't care whether or not you're killing big deer, they want you to kill 'em all. I've heard it alot, "you see it, you kill it".I sure dont shoot everything I see, but I'm not generaly very selective. They go bananas over deer steaks, so I give them some steaks and loins all throughout the season, so they see that I'm giving a season long effort. Between the 3 guys that hunt it, we'll end up with 6-10 deer a year, so nobody's going hungry.

..and the fact that it's my brother-in-laws family helps too.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Seems like we're all in pretty much the same situation and we do the right thing to show appreciation.
I personally give half of every deer I kill to the land owner. Tomorrow I'll deliver freshly cut back strap and breakfast sausage to one owner with a promise of jerkey and summer sausage once I get it done. As with everyone else, I also offer to help with any/all chores.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Around here there is a MAJOR problem with too many deer; especially in the suburbs. I see so many of my fellow hunters and my customers who are strickly "buck hunters". With the situation that exists here, that is usually NOT the way to approach the problem.

As a matter of fact, several of my landowners have noticed that I hunt to the end of January and continue to take deer - mostly does. One landowner challenged the other hunters last year to shoot more deer. If they don't change their approach, they may loose favor with the landowner.

On the properties that I hunt (4 of them), they are all wealthy landowners and don't want anything but the deer population reduced. Shrubbery alone for these people runs into the tens of thousands of dollars. Crop damage is valued at $400-500 per deer per year. At that rate I personally saved the farmer over $5000 last year.

I know that this is a unique situation, but it is very real. And, I just thought I'd share this approach for those who may have similar 'problems'. I know many hunters in this area who have lost their properties because they were spotted giving does a 'pass.' Some property owners will warn you, others will just tell you to take a walk if you're just a buck hunter. This doesn't mean you can't take a nice buck, it's just that they won't put up with you not taking does.
WOW. I wish we had the same predicament up here. Fact is we just don't have anywhere near that kind of deer population and being only 1 hr from the large stinking city of Toronto hunting access is getting harder and harder as alot of property is bought up for weekend retreats and they typically hate all hunters.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:14 PM

Hoytgirl, thank you! I tried to make a point like this on another thread and kinda got taken as bitter. If folks would at least make an effort in a relationship to the landowners, finding property to hunt would be easier. I am a landowner, and get completley disgusted when people just show up and ask to hunt and fish. Most of the time they live in town, and happen to see the place and don't even introduce themselves. The fact of it here is, most of the time no one asks, they just sneak in and go. I had a whole week of running out trespassers last week. There were 3 of them, and none of them knew the others were there...can you say "lawsuit"? I am happy to hear that ther are hunters with ethics still around. Wish there were more around here!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since i am into animal dammage control,i usually introduce my self and ask them about coyotes or skunks.sometimes beaver.I trap for free for a year or two and get to know the farmer.Now that he knows me,i ask about shooting a turkey in the spring,Then a deer in the fall.Some say shoot all i want.Others have grandkids and I understand.Some guys arround here were wondering how i do it,I tell them,and they say im kissing up to them and They wont do that.Whell, I am kissing up to them.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: farmchick

Hoytgirl, thank you! I tried to make a point like this on another thread and kinda got taken as bitter. If folks would at least make an effort in a relationship to the landowners, finding property to hunt would be easier. I am a landowner, and get completley disgusted when people just show up and ask to hunt and fish. Most of the time they live in town, and happen to see the place and don't even introduce themselves. The fact of it here is, most of the time no one asks, they just sneak in and go. I had a whole week of running out trespassers last week. There were 3 of them, and none of them knew the others were there...can you say "lawsuit"? I am happy to hear that ther are hunters with ethics still around. Wish there were more around here!
Don't sweat the bitter stuff. What your saying is needed. Be carefull. You have the rights, but these kinds of people are the kind to try and get back at you and yours.

Quick Reply: Keeping Landowners happy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.