Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long) >

Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long)

Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long)

When I was a freshman in college…..I remember the first time I got called on to pinch hit in a game (we were winning….and it was an opportune time to get me an AB). Coach called my name….I came off the bench and NERVOUSLY told my teammates...”I’ll probably hit a dinger”. So it began…..

When I said on Friday I was going to take a deer on Saturday (Place your bets)…..I in no way meant any disrespect to the animals….and I wasn’t trying to sound cocky, here. I’d purposely not hunted this area very much…and I knew I’d seen deer in there (I drive by there several times a day). This is the spot that Rob/PA and I hunted when he was down here visiting. In fact….I got into the same tree I hunted out of…..only this time I varied my entrance….and I went in EARLY, again. FOURTEEN degrees when my CHAMPION wife drove me to the entrance point of the woods and dropped me off (It’s 4:50 AM, boys…..I KNOW I’m loved!).

Bumped one that was bedded down, making my entrance. I don’t care how many times you do this….you ALWAYS wonder if you didn’t just bump a huge buck (the deer was alone). I’m layered up….but even before daylight I’m beginning to get cold. I’ve had a long sit waiting on light…..and my toes are FROZEN.I hope this is worth it…..but I’m always enthusiastic…..as I was THIS morning.

There’s a deer. I had already decided that with one week left in the season…I wasn’t going to be picky about taking does. It’s a neat feeling when you KNOW you’re gonna shoot whatever you see. Problem. First deer I see is a button buck. Bow back down.

More deer. 20 minutes later, five does come into the set and one pegs me. She sees my outline….but can’t make out what I am. I’m perplexed. I’ve seen the photos of me in that exact tree (Rob took them when he was here). I must have moved. Anyways….I’m ready and willing to shoot ANY of these five deer…..but there’s too many eyes and ears. She stomps a lot…but never blows and then saunters away ALMOST offering a shot. Too much brush and too risky. Bow back down.

More deer. As the 5 does leave….I look to see 10-12 deer coming from my entrance point. I’d hugged a pasture fence that’s a natural funnel….and they’re outside of that…..so I don’t think they’ve caught my scent. They’re going around me, though…..so I’m not offered a shot. I then see a nice buck…..and he’s chasing. He chases a doe HARD and I come to full draw. They’re coming right at me. She runs hard and he stops. I look around……MORE deer. I conservatively call it “20” (total on the day)…..and turn my attention back to this buck….and the other ½ rack that’s chasing, too. It’s good theater, if nothing else. The buck (I’ve not even had time to glass him) comes over…and I think he’s gonna pass in front of me at about 22-27 yds. I honestly think he’s a funky racked 4x2. With the only glimpses I’ve gotten of him….that’s what he looks like. I see he’s a full-bodied, mature deer, though….and I make my decision. Full draw, again…..and he steps up to work a scrape I didn’t know was there. Not a Bowtech commercial……but I’d sighted it in (JUST bought it, Thursday) the day before w/ broadheads….and I KNEW if this buck was inside 30 yds….it would be a top-pin shot. I trusted it….and let it fly.

In looking back……I remember the Lumenok disappearing for a second. In real-time…..I thought I might have hit low (or not hit him). If the Lumenok disappears, though……it’s a good thing! (now, I know).

I sat there for 2 more hours hunting…..and had a sighting of a BEAUTIFUL 8-pointer that Rob/PA and I had seen under the light of a street light. He’s alive and well….and safe, at least from me…..for next season. In all honesty…had he presented me a shot….I would have had to call the warden. I’d have shot. I know that. I really thought I’d missed the buck, earlier.

I come down at 10:15 and actually move my stand about 70 yds for the afternoon hunt. Only then did I go to check my arrow out. Surprise. It’s soaked in dried blood. I look forward….to see if I could see blood. Nothing. I hadn’t heard the deer bounding or crash……so I backed out. I called a friend in town….called Rob/PA…..and I was reassured after speaking to both of them. I explained to Rob that I KNEW it was a boiler room shot….I just was unsure of the up/down. He agreed that I wait (it’ll still be dead in a while) and I went home….ate breakfast and spent some time with Lisa.

When I got back on the trail….it was sparse….and I had a BAD feeling. I FOUND BLOOD! It was sparse and far between…..but it was blood! I tracked him for about 40 yds when I honestly just caught him out of the corner of my eye. That’s when I called Rob/PA….and the rest is……well the rest is below. It’s my best deer, ever…..and I feel blessed to have taken him. When I saw him on the ground…I can’t tell you how surprised to find that he was a main fram 8…..and that ground GROWage had occurred. I am SO proud of this deer….and my season. 5 deer harvested with the bow….in my second year…..including this MAGNIFICENT (to me) deer.

I wish you all luck in your seasons.

Jeff

Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long)

Oh yeah.....somebody owes me $100!

Jeff
Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

Congrats, nice buck. I am going stir crazy; season doesn't open back up here until the 18th.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Way to go!
I hear you HCH, I can't get back out until the day before Christmas.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Congratz, Nice buck
Old 12-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats great buck!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awsome buck, and great story.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Congrats on the deer, I like the calling your shot thing, not cocky just builds confidence and if ya ain't confident ya might as well stay home.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good going, congradulations.

Quick Reply: Babe Ruth...14 Degrees...and my best deer (VERY long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.