Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need recommendation on light climber >

Need recommendation on light climber

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need recommendation on light climber

Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need recommendation on light climber

Im about to buy another climber, I've already got a summit but it is a little heavy (21lbs.) when I hunt some places where I have to walk in a long ways. Im 6'4, 220 lbs so I need one that will accomadate a tall person.

Im looking at two currently, the Summit Openshot which weighs 14lbs.

http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=OpenShot

and this one by Woods and Water that weighs 11.5 lbs. -

http://www.woodsandwatersystems.com/36ssc.html

Im sure the Summit is good, the Woods and water I dont know anything about, I assume the seat can be placed against the back.

Number one on my list of must is portability, light weight and stacks together fairly flat. Of course I want it as comfortable as possible but I realize most light weight climbers are not the most comfortable either.

I realize the seat and platform will be smaller on these too, but thats OK. The Summit is a hand climber, I've never used a hand climber. How are they.

Any other stands I might consider?

Thanks for any help with this tough decision.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Need recommendation on light climber

I certainly like my Summit, but either would be good.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

6'4" 220 lbs!

If I were you, I'd just pretend to be the tree, heck with climbing it...

Better yet, just strap the stand around your chest. Then the deer would see that it is empty and come right on through! Might want to get a small one for that tactic though, big one could be hell on your back after a long day...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

i like my summit also.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 PM

I would get the summit. The other one doesnt look very comfy. With the summit you can at least rest your back on the tree. Or can you move the seat with the woods and water? To me it looks like you sit facing the tree. I would sacrifice 3 lbs for a little more comfort. JMO
Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 PM

Hi, All-

New to the forums...hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I own two of the Woods and Waters tree climbers. Overall, I really like them. I got rid of my Lone Wolf hand climber once I tried the W & W...I don't regret my decision at all.

The only thing I didn't like about them is the seat construction. It is a cushion with a plywood base. The previous version had a rubberized seat that was much, much better. The great thing about this seat is that you can fold it up against the tree when you want it out of your way as it's hinged.

BTW, I'm 6'2" and 225...my buddy is 6'4" and 245....we have the same stand and really like 'em.

If you need any info on them feel free to let me know...I'd be glad to answer any questions if I'm capable.

Good luck and good hunting!

Marko
Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Loggy quit looking!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

hillbilly archer, you need to read the specs again. That 11.5 lb. model W & W you are looking at is just the climbing aid! Put that together with one of the platforms and you are carrying either 24 lbs. or 22 lbs. depending on the model!!!!

My preferences :
Lone Wolf Sitnclimb
Summit
Loggy Bayou Stalker XL(untalked about but very underrated IMO)
Old 12-09-2006, 07:22 AM

You may want to look at the Gorilla series. They are not as light as some, but the hammock net seat is the most comfortable I have ever used. My theory is " Yes I may have to carry a little more weight walking in and out but that is a short term issue " I may be sitting/standing in that stand for anywhere from 4 to 10 hours and what is most important to me is comfort. Because IF I am not comfortable, I am not sitting still and get fidgety "
Just me .02 something to take a look at.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep.
ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Loggy quit looking!

Quick Reply: Need recommendation on light climber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.