Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck caught in combine :( >

Buck caught in combine :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck caught in combine :(

Old 12-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Default RE: Buck caught in combine :(

I guess sometimes that's the price they pay for sitting tight....bummer.

I agree though, it almost looks staged. Very CLEAN...no blood or anything, and it's ironic that the bucks head was DIRECTLY in between the cutters......I'm gonna have to call bluff on this one.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Actually, we have had a few instances like this happen to us.

Not specifically deer, but raccoons, dogs, etc who were alive at the time of getting pulled in by the gathering chains on the head.

The worse part is, often, the reverser, which sends the chains and feederhousein the opposite direction, gets stuck. Guess what happens then? You get out and pull the dead or half dead animal out of the gathering chains.

I am going to assume that this deer was either wounded or dead when he got stuck in the head. But then again, there's a reason why we sometimes get that, "deer in the headlights" look.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Things like that happenwith farm equipment. My dad has hit turkeys and othersmall animalsbefore while cutting hay. My uncle has hit a deer before cutting wheat. They hear the noise and just lay low until, sometimes, it's too late.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Holy cats. I guess that saves a few steps in processing it into hamburger.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I guess sometimes that's the price they pay for sitting tight....bummer.

I agree though, it almost looks staged. Very CLEAN...no blood or anything, and it's ironic that the bucks head was DIRECTLY in between the cutters......I'm gonna have to call bluff on this one.
Actually, sometimes there might be no blood at all depending the size of the gap between the stripper plates, knife rolls, gathering chains.

It would actually break the neck first, probably before breaking the hide. You gotta remember, those hides are thick, and the main job of the chains is to gather, the knife rolls below the deers neck is what actually cuts the stalk.

I am assuming the farmer caught it at the last second and quickly stopped the machine. Therefore, he may have only gotten the neck stuck in the gathering chains.

Just my assumption though.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 AM

This was not staged. It was an unfortunate, sad, and expensive fix for the farmer. My friend sent me a series of pics. I won't post the gross ones where they removed the poor thing.
I have run lots of farm equipment over the years. Deer aren't afraid of it. This one sat too tight for too long though, like mobowhntr said.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Hey Sunset, what did it actually break?

From looking at the pictures, I can't really tell. Everything seems to be intact.

Bols

P.S. As you can see from the pictures though, the knife rolls just started to get into the neck region. The gathering chains got ahold of the neck and started to bring the "material" into the cornhead. Just like it's suppose to do.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Another farmer friend of mine was combining a few years ago & stuck a dead deer that had an arrow in it. It was real ripe. He got off of the combine to clean the mess. The smell overtook him & he upchucked right then & there. It was a beautiful deer though. He saved the rack & arrow & mounted them. It was either an 8 or 10 point, can't remember for sure.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM

mmmmmmm sucks, don't like it!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM

Not sure exactly Bols. He's a friend of my friend.

Quick Reply: Buck caught in combine :(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.