Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2nd rut?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default 2nd rut?

any estimations on when the 2nd rut starts here in central Illinois?

I was thinking around they second week in Dec, but not sure.

thanks all!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2nd rut?

28 days after the 1st rut! So i've read!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

She is all done here in MN.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that it depends on the deer in the area where you are hunting. If there are a lot more does then there are bucks, some of the does wont get bread their first time around so they will go into a second estrous cycle. If you have a good buck to doe ratio you probably wont experience much of a "second rut"
Old 12-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Well here in MD we still have bucks fightin and chasin with swolen necks.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I have heard that it depends on the deer in the area where you are hunting. If there are a lot more does then there are bucks, some of the does wont get bread their first time around so they will go into a second estrous cycle. If you have a good buck to doe ratio you probably wont experience much of a "second rut"
I believe you are correct MH. There really is no such thing as a second rut. There are just does or yearlings that may be bred a little later for several reasons such as the buck to doe ratio that you mentioned. Or a yearling doe that was not mature enough to breed until a little later in the year. So it just depends on the land and the deer herd where you hunt.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't believe in a 2nd rut, because it is just some does who did''t get bred the first time around?

If you don't mind, please define the 1st rut then.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Not only will mature does that didn't get bred in the first rut come into heat 28 days later, but female fawns over 85 lbs. will also come into heat during the 2nd rut, which is in the middle of December, north of Tennessee.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

And in the case of many states or areas that are over run with doe vs buck there could likely be a third rut. Or in reality it's all the rut just phases of Peak estrous time.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

You don't believe in a 2nd rut, because it is just some does who did''t get bred the first time around?

If you don't mind, please define the 1st rut then.
I think he was trying to say that there isnt a 1st and 2nd rut everywhere...some places there might appear to be a second rut if the ratios are right or if does havent been bread yet. The 1st rut would just be when the majority of does begin to come into heat...

I think hes saying that does wont come into heat again if they have already been bread once. Therefor not eveyone will notice or experience a second rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.