Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is camo unnecessary? >

Is camo unnecessary?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is camo unnecessary?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Spike

Default Is camo unnecessary?

I was out yesterday morning for rifle season and, of course, I was blaze orange from head to foot. The only "semi-camo" aspect of my outfit was my bibs: they were the "orange with black lines" type camo intended to break up your outline.

A small7 point walked directly toward me, stopped at 10 yards and looked directly at me in my ladder stand while I was standing and pointing my rifle at him, and then continued calmly on his way (he is now hanging from my gambrel). There was absolutely no recognition or even suspicion on his part that I was there.

It never fails to amaze that the colors in blaze orange that make us glow to other hunters are invisible to a deer, but it is also significant that there was minimal attempt to break up my outline (surrounding branches from the tree where my stand was placed and the black lines in the bibs) and the deer was still unable to recognize me.

This raises an interesting question: is camo even necessary?

Perhaps the answer is: only if you are seeking mature deer who have begun to learn to recognize a hunter and anticipate where one might be lurking (as in up in a tree). This particular deer was only 1 1/2 years old. When other deer have been around me and not detected me while not wearing camo, they are typically fawns and young deer as well.

Perhaps there are other factors that are just as important as visually blending in to the surroundings. For example, it seems that if I return to the same spot (such as a ladder stand that remains in the same place all season), the deer begin to anticipate that I may be there and are more wary. However, if I only visit the spot occasionally (no more than once per week), they do not expect me and are less likely to notice.

I am interested in your thoughts.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is camo unnecessary?

Believe it or not your outline was probably broken up in the outfit you had on. Deer see much differently then we do especially "blaze orange". Your staying completely still added to this.

Breaking up your outline is important when you want to have deer in close.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot deer within 10 yards with no camo....it is important to break up your outline...but honestly I think something like a plad shirt or something like that is perfect...It is far more important to use natures camo...like leaves, branches and use them to your advantage...the set up is more important than the clothing.....I dont know if i agree with it but i have been told that the best camo to a deer is a hawaiian shirt....
Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do youHAVE to wear camo to get close to a deer, elk, caribou, etc? No. Does it help? Yes.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer that camo is nice but overrated. Sit still, be quiet, and have good wind. I feel movement and scent are the two thing that can get you busted the quickest. Whenever I am on stand I try to keep my movement to a minimum and when I do have to move I try to mimic a security camera (I know that sounds dumb) byslowly panning areas. Slow steady movement, nothing erratic or jerky. Sound can get you too but the woodsare usually alive with sounds and as long asI don't make a bunch of "unnatural sounds" like metal clanking or radio chirping, and other stufflike that Iseem to have good luck. Just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bowhunt from the ground quite a bit, no blinds or anything usually, just use whatevers around me to blend in.The first couple years Id wear my realtree or mossy oak patterns for everything, I got picked off by deer frequently and from quite a ways off in a lot of cases.

I started hunting the standing corn foodplots the state leaves out here on public land quite a bit, they were a great place to fill doe tags.One day I found a corn stalk camo pattern clearanced at the local sporting goods store mostly used for waterfowl hunting in the feilds.I bought the jacket, a big lightweight one that fits over my other clothes.Immediately I started getting deer in closer and getting busted less often.

Then I started hunting edges in the stateground where the switchgrass borders crop fields, sloughs and such.The cornstalk camo wasnt as effective there, and the hardwoods designs stuck out like a sore thumb.Two years ago I found The Advantage Max 4 HD pattern clearanced, got the bibs and coat for around 60$ total.They seemed to do the trick in the switchgrass, again I started getting more shot oppurtunities and being detected less often.

The biggest difference I noticed however was when I started using a face mask, one of them thin ones you wear around your neck and can pull up over your nose.I think camo plays a good role in blending in.

All that being said movement still seems to be the biggest factor in deer seeing you.Ive had perfectly relaxed deer that were feeding peacefully go on red alert or even take off from something as simple as turning my head a fraction of a turn, and Ive had them do it quite often.Ive seen them somehow detect movement when I was totally concealed in a ground blind and trying to get my bow/gun up.The best camo in the worlds not gonna hide your movement.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was head to toe in Orange last season and had 3 deer with in 10 yards for 45 minutes, then blasted one when I had the clear shot! Also have been busted very quickly, a few times, head to toe in camo, in a tree 20 feet up, by what I believe were the same deer just a week earlier! Weird!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with NEW61375 on this , not because he's a team member but because what he said made alot of sense.
Sudden movement and sent will get you busted every time , moving very slow and proper sent control is the key to get deer up close.
I remember back in my grandpa's day when they didn't have all these camo patterens , he and his friends were successful and they only had those red and black checkerd coats and blue jeans.
Don't get me wrong , camo does help break up your outline but if you were will hidden among the brush and natural seroundings you could have deer just as close.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM

I dont think camo is necessary, it can even hurt you. Next time you go to walmart look at teh mossyoak or anyother brand names out tehre, they are "blob" camo and will actually make you stick out. if your gonna use camo i suggest an open pattern that has sticks with spaces, or like said before, a flannel shirt works great.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

that must be that enigma blaze orange camo that is making you totally disappear in the woods.

Just kidding Enigma loyalists...just seemed like a good opportunity to poke a little fun at you guys.

Quick Reply: Is camo unnecessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.