Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Goals, goals, goals. >

Goals, goals, goals.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Goals, goals, goals.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Goals, goals, goals.

To get my 1st buck with a bow. Done. My season is not over for another month and I am working on #2.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My goals where to get my younger son and wife their first shots at deer. I went 1-2. My older son got his first a year or two ago, younger one, who is 14 has been close. This year on youth weekend we were caught dead by an 8 pt under 10 yds that neither of us saw sneaking in. During gun season however we had a little spike come strolling in to feed at 30ish yards. Son missed him with his shotgun. Next morning, same spot, he says "Dad, look my sight moves" oh no.

Wife hasn't gotten a shot yet, had several in range, no shot chance with the bow and hunted one weekend with a rifle and didn't see anything. She still has 2 weeks to go.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My goals for next year have more to do with the competitive side of archery than hunting. As long as I get to have my week off in November again next year and a few weekends to hunt, and as long as I see some deer and have encounters with decent bucks, and maybe wack a doe or two I am thrilled. Anything above and beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My goal this year was to take a mature buck 130" or better as well as a few does.

I have been extremely lucky this year and have taken two 10 pointers. One 153" and the other 132". I have also taken two mature does and am working on one or two more. If i got a third mature buck i think i might just retire from bowhunting!

Heres the video of the 150...camera light got really low there toward the end. It looks alright on the TV but for some reason when i loaded it up on the computer it got even darker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yv0p0e5ftk
Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 AM

I met a few of my goals this year. I worked extremely hard on my form and tuning my bow this past summer. I succeeded.

I also killed a buck(s) with my bow. Next year my goal is to get a wallhanger with the bow.

I also need to scout more and hang more stands and acquire more property to hunt.

I still have a month to get that wallhanger this season.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

This may seem a little strange to many but I really don't look at hunting in terms of goals. I think of a goal as something to strive for or to accomplish. With a goal comes the possibilty of failing to reach it and reaching a goal nearly always necessitates the need to set a new one. To me hunting is just what I do. It's as common and natural as having a morning cup of coffee. I don't have to strive for it or accomplish it, I simply choose to do it. The possibity of failure doesn't even enter the equation. Would I like to kill a nice buck? Sure, and now and then I do but taking a nice buck, or any deer for that matter, is simply one of the many possible consequences of what I do. It is not the end result of a goal but simply an outcome of a life style I've enjoyed for many years and hope to continue for many more. For those future seasons, the number of deer, number of points, weight etc. etc. will be whatever it will be. What's important to me is that I still anticipate each new season knowing I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it!

btw, this is just me. If you get your enjoyment by setting goals and meeting them then that's great. Don't intepret what I've said here as knocking others.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

My goal as always is to shoot straight.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

My goal this year was to kill a P&Y buck.
- I took a 158" ten point on 11/8/2006

My goal next year will be to kill a P&Y buck, hopefully better than the previous year's.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well so far this year has been nothing like i thought it would be. Originaly i wanted to shoot 7 does and 3 bucks. Thats including gun season as well. I know it seems like a lot of deer, but in the neighborhoods where i hunt, some places you can see 10-20 deer a night. Well the last few years you could have. THis year has been alot harder than in the past. I have managed to take a mature doe, but thats about it. I still have all of december, january and into february to hunt, so the Does are going to be getting theirs. I normally dont shoot them in the early season anyhow, so im not worried about that. The bucks on the other hand i havent been seeing, but i did see 2 this morning so that is encouraging. Time will tell.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a lot of goals, some have been met, others have not, the season isn't over.
- Takethree of my four kids hunting (fourth is too young/21 months). Ten year old carries his own gun now, but hasn't gotten a deer yet. We've seen some, but elected not to shoot. Trying to teach him to be responsible. Shot a four pointer with my seven year old daughter, she had a great time. Five year old is helping me stalk while ridding on my shoulders, lots of fun, but no luck getting close to deer, but seen a few. So I guess this goal has been met.
- Fill my doe tags. I have three tags, haven't filled them, but I usually don't until the season is close to over. Shot one doe on Sat, but gave it to my friend who's fatherowned the land, and he tagged it.
- Stalk a mature buck in his house with my 11-87 and take him. Tried this on Sat, but shot the doe mentioned above for blowing at me.I warned her, "do it again and see what happens"... whisssssss... boom!
- Stalk in the snow. Not met, hasn't snowed yet, and usually doesn't in VA before the end of the season, but love to hunt this way, so its a goal every year.
- Take at least one nap while hunting. Not met. Dang kids won't let me sleep!

Quick Reply: Goals, goals, goals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.