Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 % of bucks that die a natural death? >

% of bucks that die a natural death?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of bucks that die a natural death?

Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: % of bucks that die a natural death?

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I learn something every day. I've heard their natural life span was more like 12 years.

Jeff
In some areas in NY it is 1.5 years

Who knows I have never come across one in the field.
Oh, Mr. Funny.lol I actually heard from a friend that knew a guy whos hunting partners' taxidermist once saw a 2.5 yr old deer.[8D]

Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

After this year I'm guessing not a lot made it out of the womb!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say that without regulated hunting (ar's, earn a buck, etc), the average buck can expect to grow one full rack and be 1.5 years old. The percent that actually live to be 8 - 10+ is probably under 1%. Does on the other hand, most likely average to be 3+
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

I bet over 50% of the deer die from "non hunting" deaths, these include, disease, coyote, old age, cars, injuries from fights.
Check this study in Idaho. Only two years so far, but they're finding some interesting stuff. Verifies what you're saying.

Also, in Montana at least, winter can be highly variable. In 1998 in western Montana, winter reportedly killed 60% to 80% of the whitetail herd. Big snows hit right before the rut and trapped deer from moving. With the mildwinters we have been having, probably not many die due to weather.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildlife/manage_issues/ung/
Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Ky,the winters are not harsh enough to take many deer.

I would be willing to bet a large number die of other reasons than hunters.

Therehave been24 deer taken off the farm that I hunt already this year.

Sunday afternoon,I was hunting in the thickets and had 11 different deer come by late.I am only in 1 spot and saw 11,how many more would you think are still around,and this wasrightafter a 3 week rifle season and they were hunted hard.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

I talked with a bio that said most does get to age 7-10 but bucks rarely make it past 5-6 due mostlyt to being drug down by the rut and then getting hit by winter shortly after.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM

I would say here in my part of Illinois 3-4 year old bucks are somewhat common. With 5+ being pretty rare. While shed hunting I have found a handful of mature bucks who die during the winter...couldn't get healthy after the rut. My first deer was a seven year old doe. She would've needed some dentures to make it much longer. This winter could be dangerous for deer around here. 60 degrees one week 11 inches of snow the following week...all just after the rut. We'll have to see.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM

With all these deer that die during the winter, how is it that there are any deer living in Canada?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I believe too that wild deer don't have the opportunity to live to the expectancy they could because of too many variables. What they can live to and what they do live to are vastly different.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 PM

There are so many factors that need considering when talking about the life span of deer. Many of these factors are specific to your region. Wolves and winter in Canada for instance. Lions and EHD here in Wyoming. Now lets consider vehicle, farming(fawns), pollution/loss of habitat. This really is a HUGE question that when we think about it, shows us how damn tough and adaptable the rascals really are. Five years in a whitetails life is 43800 hours of looking over your shoulder.....somebody's trying to stick you, hit you with there truck or bury there teeth and claws in you. Amazing!

Quick Reply: % of bucks that die a natural death?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.