Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs

Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 PM

Default Dogs

I have been having the same problem with 4-7 dogs almost everytime I go hunting in this one particular area. Early in the morning and late in the evening they decide to come through my property and jump whatever deer they can find and run it all over the place barking and yapping and then I see nothing the rest of the day. I hunt sun up to sun down and this is getting ridiculous. Yesterday at 9:43 am a big buck came running top speed right under my stand. The deer in my area areextremely skittish beause of dogs and I usually only see1 "shooter" 1 time during the season. Icouldn't get him to slow down more less stop and then about 15-20 seconds later here comes 3 dogs( no collars) running full speed right in his tracks. It is gun season but here in NC we can hunt with any legal weapon during gun season and I have been bow hunting mostly. If I would have had a gun I could have killed the deer no problem. At 4:30 pm 4 more dogs came through spread out and finally jumped a deer about 100-150 yds from me and I did not see another deer the rest of the evening. One deer and 7 dogsfrom sunrise to sunset is getting hard for me to handle. My question to you guys is how would you handle this situation? This is my property not a lease. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dogs

There's a leash law right? Call the dog catcher....
Old 12-03-2006, 09:15 PM

This is a very rural area at the far end of the county. Not many county officers of any type will come out unless its a murder or something.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

If the dogs have no collars, I would shoot them. They are wild dogs, technically, they are dangerous, more so than a coyote. Ask nieghbors if they have dogs, and if so tell them to keep them off your property or the next time you see them, you will shoot them. Thats the way it works around here, everyone knows to keep their dogs out because we shoot everyone we see.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM

I'd start with locating the owner(s). Adjoining property, follow them home, whatever it takes. They are resposible, legally and morally.
Depending on the entire scenario, you may have to resort to traps, knockout pills in chunks of meat,poison, or even target practice. I mean, you are on private property right? Those dogs have no legal business being there.

Check with County Sherriff or Game warden. Around here, it is very illegal for pets to chase wild game.

Tough one to call. I love dogs. Always have. Always will. I have three right now. It is hard to even consider such drastic action. But even domesticated dogs can work themselves up into a "pack mentality" frenzy.

Keep us informed...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:37 PM

One of the local wildlife biologist told me last year that I was going to have to "take care" of them. I don't think I can go to the owner ( I know where 3 of them live) because I know he will not do anything and then when these dogs don't come back to lay in the yard until the afternoon he's gonna know what's up. I came to full draw on one of them last Sat. at less than 10 yds. but didn't release because he had been chasing squirrles that time and not barking but wouldn't you know it he was one of the ones yesterday with 3 of his buddies.[:@]
Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Best thing is to talk to an authority and then the owner. If they do not restrict the dogs and you have permission to take care of the problem then your free to do what you have too. Anyone who doesn't take care of their animals especially dogs during hunting season must expect thatthey might be shot. Hunting requires a great deal of time and resources to be successful. Anyone who willfully ruins that effort is no friend or neighbor.

If you pay tax'sto take care ofthese problems I wouldn't take some flippant answer from the authorities. Let them contact the owner and warn them. There's more than one hunter in your area and that way you won't be singled out. If you could round up a bunch of ya and have a talk with thepeople I think that would shake them up as well.

Were not dog hunters and most of us hate being made to be one by irresponsible people who have no respect for a guy who invests so much.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

SSS , problem solved .
Old 12-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

What nodog said and Kevin what doesSSS mean? It's early and my mind isn't that sharp yet
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've experienced the same problems at times over the years and talking with the owners doesn't always resolve the dispute. You could carry a blunt tipped arrow or two in your quiver for those occassions where they show up. That way, you don't kill anyone's dog, but they get the idea that they should stay away. Just a thought . . .

Quick Reply: Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.