Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field dress now or later? >

Field dress now or later?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field dress now or later?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Field dress now or later?

For the last 30 years ive been gutting my deer where they fell.Now on the primos 06 seasion i noticed that they load em up and do it later i guess.Do ya thing a gutpile scares deer,or are they just being tidy?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Field dress now or later?

I usually field dress them soon after I shoot them. I like to take a few photos first though, I think they look nicer with a full bodied deer. I have never had a gut pile scare deer off. Dead animals and their parts are all part ofthe animalworld, nothing new to the deer walking by.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 PM

I hunt within a max of 3 miles from home so i go home and get the truck for deer or the tractor for elk. Take them back to the farm and hang them off the loader of the tractor just like we do when we slaughter a beef. I find it to be very fast using the loader to lift up and down as well as drive the animal over the back of a truck to unload it. It also is quite clean avoiding any hair, leaves, dirt etc from getting onto the meat.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

My third deer this season was taken just ten feet from the previous deers guts.
i was walking down the trail. heading towards my stand. right around the bend my previous deer guts to the side. a large doe was facing me and i drew, little to say thats all she wrote.i didn't dress it right under my stand..I don't think that would be smart..
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you are not planning on hunting the area in the next week or so, I generally move them before field dressing them.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, its gotta be because they clean up better hung up.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 PM

I gut em where they lay. Always have. Easier drag.

As a side bar, I once killed two bucks on consecutive days from the same treestand. The first gut pile from the previous days deer wasless than 50 yards from my treestand and it didn't affect deer movement on the next day from what I could tell.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jimimac, I don't think the pile scares deer, just attracts predators. Not to mention listening to ravens all day long. Been there done that.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:04 PM

I was always told to field dress as soon as possible to avoid spoilage. The internal organs start to release gases and other nasty stuff.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always get them out of the area, (its predator central here) usually back home unless the weather is too hot. I field dress them at home.

Quick Reply: Field dress now or later?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.