Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What can you tell me about this shot? >

What can you tell me about this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What can you tell me about this shot?

Old 11-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default What can you tell me about this shot?

This morning i shot at/hit a gaint buck buck. My arrow appeared to have went through the deer in the middle of his body but back way farther than i would have wanted. But what i cant understand is my arrow was clean when i went and got it out of the tree it had hit behind the deer. I didnt see any blood on the ground and my arrow didnt have anything on it either. I know this sounds like a clean miss but i am so sure that my arrow went through the deer.

Is this possible to hit a deer and have a clean arrow?
thanks guys
Old 11-21-2002, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What can you tell me about this shot?

If your arrow is absolutely clean I would have to say clean miss. Are you sure that there is not fat matter on the arrow? Look at the very front of the fletchings where they meet the arrow. Also, smell the arrow good.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:50 AM

Being a beginner myself I'd say he jumped the string at the last possble moment and the arrow went right over his back. That happened to me earlier this year. And depending on how it happened, it could easily appear that the arrow found it's mark.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Did you smell the arrow?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:24 AM

I would have to agree that it sounds like a miss. Just by carefully examineing the arrow for hair, fat, blood or anything that could resemble a hit there should be some type of evidence on the arrow. Also check the ground for hair where you shot. And last but not least like Thundergut said smell the arrow. Also be sure to check all around where you shot this deer. Not untill you are 100% sure that you missed than move on. Check your equipment and practice. What yardage was the deer at when you shot? I will say out of my 16 years of bowhunting I have never heard of a bowhunter hitting a deer and there being nothing on the arrow. I do however wish you the best of luck this season and hope you do get your trophy. MATTHEWS
Old 11-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

yeah i smelled the arrow, nothing.
I'm going to head back out there about 2pm and have another look for hair and try and dig my broadhead out of that tree and see what it looks like.

I've been hunting this fellow for 2 years and that was my first shot ive ever got at him.AAAAAAHHHH!!

I'll keep you posted of what becomes of that big fella.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you did hit him, it sounds like a text book gut shot. The only thing on the arrow would be a clear liquid that dries really quick. And it dries clear sometimes. But it should smell a little bit and you should have some hair. But if is hit as stated you won't have blood for maybe 20 yards or more. Work your way down the trail he headed and you might find something if he was hit.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 11-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Absolutely, positively, no doubt, a clean miss. If you are shooting a fairly recent model of any compound then your arrow should be flying at least 250 fps so I always find it hard to believe that hunters say they know for sure where they hit a deer. If you are concentrating on a hair on the deer and your arrow is flying that fast, I don't see how hunters see their arrow or how they think that they can be so sure where the arrow hit. IMO it is impossible for an arrow to "pass-thru" a deer and not leave any indication of a hit. The tree is wounded but your big buck is still alive and well and probably a bit smarter than he was before you shot at him. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try spraying a mist of hydrogen peroxide on the arrow. If there is any animal clear gut matter on it it should foam up.

Quick Reply: What can you tell me about this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.