Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Friendly discussion >

Friendly discussion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Friendly discussion

Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Friendly discussion

Just interested in hearing your thoughts.

As the archery industrycontinues to progresswith more technological advancments and innovations (as far as our bows are concerned), do you believe we're taking something out of the sport?

Why or why not?

Just something I've been thinking about a bit lately and I'm interested to find out others' opinions on the issue.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a Trad vs. Compound debate, so if you could refrain from that... Well, it would be nice.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Friendly discussion

Nope.

In the eastern woods it's still pretty much a 20 yard game regardless of technological improvements. It still requires the hunter to position himself properly, draw undetected and hit where he is aiming.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have been making hunting easier since we existed.

We went from
hand to beast
rock to beast
throw rock at beast
spear to beast
bow to beast

Since the bow is the best weapon ever invented we just have decided to make it better[8D]

Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think it's so much the technological advancement as much as it is the commercialization and the pressure for "Book Deer"
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I think the advancements seem to take away from the actual individual skills neededto direct an arrow where it isneeded to go. With this is the time factor. Less practice needed. There are compound peopleout there that can effectively only take their bows out and practice ata minimum and still be very effective at hunting. To me there is not as much of a reward though.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

First, I have never looked at hunting to be a "sport" I have always looked at it as being a traditional way to put the meat in the freezer and a challenge to both my mental and physical self. I feel like I will do whatever it takes to harvest an animal the legal way, I love to bow hunt more than anything in this world. Taking the sport out of hunting because I use good technology and modern equiptment? I would say absolutely not because Hunting IS a challenge, no matter what equiptment you use, The farthest I shoot is 30 yds, and I know that Traditional can do the same as I.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Personally, I think the advancements seem to take away from the actual individual skills neededto direct an arrow where it isneeded to go. With this is the time factor. Less practice needed. There are compound peopleout there that can effectively only take their bows out and practice ata minimum and still be very effective at hunting. To me there is not as much of a reward though.
IMO, many of the same people that feel that less practice is required due to using a compound are the same people that end up flubbing the shot because they never made it to autopilot due to a lack of serious practice time.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not feel all of the technological advances are taking anything away from our pastime. These advancements make it more enjoyable for me.

I believe the "hunting" industry has brought more to the table then the archery industry to make it "easier" ....

If I had to choose between having Gore-Tex gear, high loft layering materials,Thinsulate boots and an old beat up bow......

or

Army BDU's, flannelsand a brand spanking new bow...

I'd take the gear to keep me warm, dry and comfortable hands down every time..... I believe weather conditions hinder us more then 230FPS VS 330FPS ever could.

BTW... What would you rather have?

[/align]
Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really think it takes anything from the sport, but I honestly feel that everything out there right now is so close in real world performance that it is all personal preference. You see a bow that is say 10fps faster.........what does that mean in the real world when in the woods? You see a bow that is say a little quieter than say another.......what does that mean in the real world when in the woods? It really means nothing.........these things simply look good on paper. That is why I don't get all psyched out about performance numbers for a hunting specific bow, honestly I look for something smooth w/ 80% letoff, fast enough to spit out a 400 grain arrow at 270+fps, and most important to me very very reliable.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Davoh on the commercialization of the hunting industry. Now anyone that wants to get into hunting wants the best of the best and all the gimmics as far as products that say they will help you harvest that deer of a lifetime. For new hunters they know nothing else unless someone teaches them.

Quick Reply: Friendly discussion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.