Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting Does!!?? >

Shooting Does!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Does!!??

Old 11-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Does!!??

Why does everyone want to shoot so many does...killing one doe is like killing 10 deer and probably 5 bucks....in some areas where there is a lot of deer i can see taking a doe or two....but it seems like people act like we need to kill does to reduce the herd and I dont see why hunters would want a reduced deer herd.....I guess i just get frustrated because i hunt on public land and the ammount of doe tags and earn a buck stuff the DNR has done has pretty much destroyed hunting in many areas......
Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Does!!??

Because where I live.....the land just won't sustain the number of deer we'd have if no does were taken.

Also the overall SIZE of the deer herd where I live is stunted due to the sheer number of animals.

The bucks can't DIRECTLY make more deer.....so the best way to control the population is to go to the source. That's what we do (as a hunting community).

YOUR area may not need the does thinned. Do some research and find out.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because they taste good!!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I spend a lot of time in the woods and talk to a lot of land owners in the area...I dont need to go read what some PHD from the DNR who has never been in the woods tells me...I know how many deer the area can handle by spending time in the woods....a few years ago you could walk in the woods and see deer trails and sign....now you have to spend half a day to find ONE deer trail.....
Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Then don't shoot 'em?

What do you want to hear?

Jeff
Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

The reduction of does can have a great effect on the quality of the deer herd in your hunting area. Killing a doe is really like taking 3 deer out of the environment. Reducing the amount of does will reduce the number of deer being born that coming spring, (bucks and does). It will also help in making the public land you hunt hold a much better quality deer herd by reducing the amount of browse needed to sustain a deer herd. Not many state lands are planted with deer friendly foods. Also reducing the buck to doe ratio will help in seeing more bucks during the chase and post rut periods as competition for does is higher. Less does more bucks means they have to fight for breeding rights. Planned reduction of does will lead to a quality deer herd if done properly. Earn a buck programs are used to fight the stigma of people not shooting does and forces a hunter to participate in a doe harvest to get the opportunity to shoot a buck. In some areas in Michigan deer are thought of as nothing more than large rats that destroy croplands and cause car accidents, creating an enormous economic impact(your insurance premiums). In case you haven't noticed Whitetails means $$$ to many people, in and out of the hunting industry.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

I dont need to go read what some PHD from the DNR who has never been in the woods tells me...I know how many deer the area can handle by spending time in the woods.
Wow.I don't even know what to say to that.

Hunting is always going to be a double-edged sword. We all want to see more and bigger deer, but at the same time we as hunters are a tool that is used to manage the deer herd and keep it to an acceptable level. This is not only to ensure the health of the overall herd, but to reduce the impact on the environment, reduce crop damage in agricultural areas, minimize car/deer collisions, etc. In most areas of the country the buck/doe ratio is not what it should be and deer are simply overpopulated, hence the need to kill more does than bucks. By doing so you're not only improving the health of the herd as a whole, but you're improving your hunting quality as well. A more balanced herd makes for a more intense rut and more buck sightings. You might not see the huge groups of 10-15 does that you once did, but overall you should see more bucks.

There are very few, if any, areas of the country with whitetail populations that are hurting. Not seeing the ridiculous amount of sign you once did means that hunters are doing their job at controlling the population, and this is achieved through earn-a-buck type regulations, than so be it.

Remember, we're not hunting to increase the population of deer, we're hunting to maintain or decrease it.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I wasnt trying to say it is wrong to shoot does, I guess it would just be nice if people took a genuine look at how many deer are in the area they are hunting before they do shoot does....I realize that with a bow any deer is a trophy....and i also know that in many areas of the country it is important to take a few does to manage the herd..... I just dont see why everyone is so gung ho about reducing the deer population....
Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like a DNR with a PHD would perhaps knowjust a little bit more about the carrying capacity of a particular area than you suggest.
However, I will agree they are not always correct.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM

About20 years ago my friend, who owns about 350 acres in Western New York, started paying closer attention to how he (and the very few of us he allows to hunt on his land) harvested deer. We implemented a self-imposed rule of "eight-points or better", while at the same time we took all mature bucks (2 1/2 years or older) that had what we deemed "inferior" racks (stunted antler growth, cow-horns, etc.). To add to this we took as many does as we wanted, provided they weren't huge does (what we call "Doezillas"), or dominant does...Yes, believe it or not, there is such a thing as a dominant doe (She's the one who always appears to be watching over the others, you know, the one who always busts you!). As a result, his land is populated with a large number of nice "clone" eight-points, with a few 10's and 12's in the mix, too. There are still plenty of does, but because (as a result of our methods) the buck to doe ratio is now pretty close to 1:2, only the dominant bucks successfully breed, and you can rattle in deer easier. We have seen the health and size of the deer improve greatly, their bone structure, teeth, and the density and gloss of their coats are fantastic, and even the venison tastes better (at least in my opinion). And these deer are not fed from feeders. There are plenty of crops (corn, alfalfa, oats) as well as clover, buckwheat and apples for them to eat. This method may, or may not, have any scientific basis...but it works, and I've seen it with my own eyes!

Quick Reply: Shooting Does!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.