Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!! >

Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!!

Hey guys, today was the opener of rifle season here and PA and it didn't disappoint, it was the same ol' sea of orange doing deer drives, but this year was a little different! I had a buddy of mine huntingmy honey hole area with his bow. I knew that nobody was gonna be in the woods with rifles because we are the only ones allowed to hunt the property. My buddy got in stand over an hour before daylight and at 2:45 p.m. he was back at my house with a disgusted look on his face. I asked him how it went and thats when he told me that he wasn't alone in the woods. It seems the gas-well attendants that tend the wells on this property decided that they had the right to hunt the property and they brought friends, LOTS of friends. They set guys entirely around this patch of woods on the surrounding properties and at 8:00 a.m. a group of guys came through doing a drive. They walked right under my buddy and had the nerve to wave at him in his stand. He was upset but since he was invited to the property he didn't say anything. He watched them kick up a group of deer out of the major bedding area that our stands surround and the war started, he counted over 40 shots within a few minutes. He stayed in his stand hoping that maybe something would happen, well at 2:00 p.m. guess who shows back up driving the woods the opposite way as the morning. This time a 5 point half rack (one of the big 10's I saw that snapped an entire antler off) jumped up and ran right under my buddy, all of a sudden a shot rings out and the deer drops. These idiots shot a deer that was standing just feet from the base of the tree my buddy was in. As these 6 guys drug the deer out whooping and hollaring the whole time my buddy got his stuff ready and headed out.

I talked to the landowner this evening and none of these guys were given permission to hunt this property! It simply amazes me how ignorant and arrogant some hunters can be. Something needs to change, its sad that my buddy and I put soooo much time, energy, money, and effort into creating a sanctuary for these deer, the one spot where the deer feel comfortable and have a chance to avoid the orange army but because of these disrespectful people that is all thrown out the window. Last year we decided to keep these woods to bow-hunting only, we wanted a spot that you could actually hunt with a bow during rifle season and have deer on their normal patterns and that has all been jepordized know.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to vent!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!!

Wow! That really stinks. Are there posted signs up? It seems that the mindset amongst some people is that if there aren't any signs it is okay to have at it. I'm not saying that is right. Just my observation.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I probobly had a wierd look on my face as I read your post as I feel your pain.the differance between a bowhunter andmost once a year gun hunters is vast.We put like you said alot of time and effort into something that is sacred to us just to have something like this happen.If it happens again something should be said.Dont let them wreck your season
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM

The orange army sucks. Sorry to hear that a bunch of idiots ruined your spot. I hope the landowner has enough balls to do something about it, but knowing poeple these days...probably not
Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ihonestly dont know what to say [:'(]
Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a warning - if this turns into another "lets bash the gun hunters" thread, it's getting moved and/or locked.

This has nothing to do with the weapon these people choose to hunt with, and everything to do with the manner in which they choose to hunt with that weapon. Deer drives, rifle towers, etc are just as much a part of deer hunting as hang-on stands, food plots, and other techniques used by bowhunters and gun hunters alike. The problem here lays with people who were trespassing where they don't belong and not being safe while doing so, not the fact that they are part of the "orange army."
Old 11-27-2006, 04:12 PM

This has nothing to do with the weapon these people choose to hunt with, and everything to do with the manner in which they choose to hunt with that weapon. Deer drives, rifle towers, etc are just as much a part of deer hunting as hang-on stands, food plots, and other techniques used by bowhunters and gun hunters alike. The problem here lays with people who were trespassing where they don't belong and not being safe while doing so, not the fact that they are part of the "orange army."
Amen, the title may have been a little misleading as I have no problem with rifle hunters, but was referring to the group of guys dressed in orange that were tresspassing on this property. I have no problem with rifle hunting, did it and wouldn't hesistate to do it again as well as deer drives, my whole problem lies with these guys ignorance.

Are there posted signs up?
Yep, not many though, we didn't want to draw alot of attention just in hopes of preventing this type of thing from happening. I would be willing to bet that these gaswell attendants saw the bucks I was watching all summer when tending and decided to cast the law and all their ethics aside just to try and tag one of them.

My major concern now is my game cameras that are set-up in the woods, we have 5 digital cameras including 2-Cuddebacks, and a custom made Swamp Ghost digital cam set up, my major concern is that these guys may have walked past the cameras and either tried to steal them or got their picture taken and smashed them. I will be going out in the morning and pulling all the cameras and taking the steps out of the trees that our stands our in and you better believe I will have my cell phone ready to go incase I see one of these guys in there!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buck, where were you?

Why wasn't something done after the am fiasco?

I sure as hell would be back there tomorrow and handling the issue or finding names and letting the authorities handle the issue, that's bull.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Every year I spend the entire off season preparing for bow season,bow hunt ,and then put my orange on ,kill a deer with my mosin nagant,and go back to bowhunting.I`m not trying to bash gun hunters here and I agree with every thing you said except for drives,I hate drives,it`s a good way to see the deer but it gets evey deer in the country spooked and running or trotting,then someone tries to shoot one of these running deer.this my opinion,I know its a reality but I hate drives,let the deer come to you
Old 11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know how you feel. This year I let a nice 6 pt i grunted in walk, because it was early in the seaon and there was an 11 and and 8 out there somewhere. I decided that if another week goes buy and I dont see another mature buck, I will take the 6( the more I thought about it he was a realy nice deer for a 6) After seeing him several more times, but not being able to get him into range, I decided it was my goal for the season to get him. Well on the opening morning I hear gun shots in a state park that theprivate land I hunt on borders. I come to find out that 6 pointer was the intended target. It just kills me that people will hunt where they are not supposed to and think nothing of it.[:@]I'm feeling pretty sick about not taking this buck, when he walked to within 5 yds. Well live and learn I guess.

Quick Reply: Gotta love the orange army, they never disappoint!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.