Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 An answered prayer...... >

An answered prayer......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An answered prayer......

Old 11-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default An answered prayer......

I remember Tuesday Sept. 12th like it was yesterday. I was settling in for my first evening hunt near my honey hole......and our archery season was 4 days old. I also remember coming onto the internet the morning of the 13th and baring my soul about wounding and possibly killing a deer that I didn't recover. I remember some kind and some not so kind responses I got regarding that encounter (and my actions were NOT without fault. If you've got a great buck at 12 yds quartering away and you don't seal the deal.....you've FAILED. I failed.).

I was on stand Friday evening and heard something approaching from behind and beneath me. I couldn't turn too quickly.....but when I did get turned around.....I had a beautiful sight to see. There was NO mistaking that broad, grey back and the full rack of this deer. It was like Deja Vu.....and I was thrilled to see him. Immediately he offered a shot at about 4 yds.....but the angle was so steep....I thought better of the attempt. He moved to ZERO yds....and was directly underneath.....and he looked up. He looked back down and walked forward.....but I knew he'd gotten my scent from where I'd laid my gear down at the base of my tree. he looked up again.....and then sauntered directly away from me. I grunted him to a stop at 20 yds.....and he blew and jumped forard another 20 yds before stopping. he stood there for 10 minutes.....never figuring out JUST what was up. He then walked away.

I had one of my prayers answered, Friday. I got to lay eyes on him, again.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: An answered prayer......

I'll bet that made your season
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 AM

Thats cool SB. I am glad for you and for the deer too. It brings to mind a verse of scripture that talks about man..... " for there is none among you who is perfect, no not one" , but we can try and with our heart in the right place, sometimes things work out. I'm happy for ya brother.

God Bless.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 AM

SB......how awesome. I'm happy for you. I'm sure that is a great relief. Makes for a good season.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate the replies. I know someone out there has felt the same feelings. I had some sleepless moments STILL knowing how that deer laid in its bed that night....and the ensuing nights after I wounded him (although looking back....I'm sure it was a flesh wound).

He is a magnificent animal. He is absolutely beautiful.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2006, 07:12 AM

great story. Maybe you can give him some food to help him recover and make it through the winter if you don't get another opportunity
Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

SB, thats great to hear. I had a simular thing happen to me about 6 years ago.
I shot a buck and couldn't find him. About a month later I see him walking in the
woods. He had a little limp but seemed to be o.k. It was a great feeling knowing
I didn't kill him and him go to waste.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Salty:

I feed the deer here all year long. I don't hunt over it.....but I like it being there for them....just as a treat. It's not NEARLY enough to sustain the herd.....but I feel good that they get to snack, on me.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice...that's good to hear!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

That's a great story with a happy ending, SB. Really glad to hear that he recovered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.