Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 little ones make big ones >

little ones make big ones

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

little ones make big ones

Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: little ones make big ones

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: GregH

Maybe a 1 1/2 yr old is a yearling and a half!?
A small one!!
Best line so far this year
"I shot a huge button, he must go 90 lbs"
Lol!! I'm amazed at how many want to call bb's yearlings. I actually had a guy get po'd at me once because I referred to the bb he shot as a fawn. "IT'S A YEARLING" he informed me in an indignant voice. I said o.k. but "I thought a deer had to be at least ayear old to be called a yearling". He paused for a second obviously thinking about the term and then in a somewhat less confident voice informed me that the deer he just shot wasindeed at leasta year old."Just look how big it is".
Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Been there done that too only in 1970. In 1968 I was gun hunting in Vietnam for dangerous game.[8D]

Old 11-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

I can tell you for a fact that there are always going to be big deer everywhere in the country. Most the people that talk about letting the young ones grow are the ones that are not expirienced enough to hunt for the mature deer. They do not get that big for showing themselves all the time. There is probably a big deer in the area you hunt, you just need to find them.
A guy just needs to learn where and how to hunt them without scaring them off.
This is it in a nutshell!!!! Most people that argue against letting little ones go, don't have the time or patience to learn how to hunt a big one. Everybody thinks that there is an easy way to get big ones. No such luck. It takes TIME, ENERGY AND PATIENCE. Some people are unable or unwilling to make that kind of investment. IT IS YOU THAT MAKES THE CHOICE.
You guysgot this topic all figured out if we were talking about nutshell answers. You are correct in the sense that some people don't have the time to invest or time tocommit to hunting just big deer. I am one of those people. I haveno lack of patience or knowledge and I am under no delusion(sp?) that there is an easy way to kill a big buck. To put it in a nutshell from another perspective!! Sometimes circumstances and outside influences or responsibilities prevent a hunter from being able to make the kind of investment/committment necessary to harvest a big buck. These responsibilities effectively take many choices or options away. I guess I could just pass on the deer I do see when I am fortunate enough to get out (and depending on which of my hunting properties I am at I sometimes do) but I am not willing to commit to a deerless season because Ididn't see a monster on one of my outings. Iam not a full time trophy hunter and you really have to be if you expect success with just big bucks. Igot out 3 times with my bow and ended up killing a big bodied healthy6 pointer and I got out 2 times with my muzzleloader and killed another healthy 5 pointer. Both were perfect examples of deer Ishould have let walkfor a couple of seasons and I normally would but due to my hunting circumstances and how it looks for the rest of this season and next season I took them now,they were good hunts and Ineeded the venison.Since gun season has been inI have only been outonce andI let 2bucks similiar to the ones I killed during the early seasons walk and killed a doe. I should mention that I would rather have killed does than the2 small bucks but on those hunts it didn't work out like that and I took the oppurtunity I was given.Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: davidmil

In 1968 I was gun hunting in Vietnam for dangerous game.[8D]
That's the true meaning of "fair chase" when the "game" is shooting back!

I have said this before but i'll say it again, thanks for your service.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

In 1968 I was gun hunting in Vietnam for dangerous game.[8D]
That's the true meaning of "fair chase" when the "game" is shooting back!

I have said this before but i'll say it again, thanks for your service.
Ditto for me as well thanks davidmil.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I can tell you for a fact that there are always going to be big deer everywhere in the country. Most the people that talk about letting the young ones grow are the ones that are not expirienced enough to hunt for the mature deer. They do not get that big for showing themselves all the time. There is probably a big deer in the area you hunt, you just need to find them.
... Some people are unable or unwilling to make that kind of investment. IT IS YOU THAT MAKES THE CHOICE.
You guysgot this topic all figured out if we were talking about nutshell answers. You are correct in the sense that some people don't have the time to invest or time tocommit to hunting just big deer. I am one of those people. I haveno lack of patience or knowledge and I am under no delusion(sp?) that there is an easy way to kill a big buck. To put it in a nutshell from another perspective!! Sometimes circumstances and outside influences or responsibilities prevent a hunter from being able to make the kind of investment/committment necessary to harvest a big buck. These responsibilities effectively take many choices or options away. I guess I could just pass on the deer I do see when I am fortunate enough to get out (and depending on which of my hunting properties I am at I sometimes do) but I am not willing to commit to a deerless season because Ididn't see a monster on one of my outings. Iam not a full time trophy hunter and you really have to be if you expect success with just big bucks. Igot out 3 times with my bow and ended up killing a big bodied healthy6 pointer and I got out 2 times with my muzzleloader and killed another healthy 5 pointer. Both were perfect examples of deer Ishould have let walkfor a couple of seasons and I normally would but due to my hunting circumstances and how it looks for the rest of this season and next season I took them now,they were good hunts and Ineeded the venison.Since gun season has been inI have only been outonce andI let 2bucks similiar to the ones I killed during the early seasons walk and killed a doe. I should mention that I would rather have killed does than the2 small bucks but on those hunts it didn't work out like that and I took the oppurtunity I was given.Just my 2 cents.
I think that I already said what you said.... in a nutshell!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Site Buck Guru

Been there done that too only in 1970. In 1968 I was gun hunting in Vietnam for dangerous game.[8D]
Thank-you for doing that. That's one game species that I don't really want to hunt. I will if I have to though.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

... Some people are unable or unwilling to make that kind of investment. IT IS YOU THAT MAKES THE CHOICE.
I think that I already said what you said.... in a nutshell!
Actually you said :

This is it in a nutshell!!!! Most people that argue against letting little ones go, don't have the time or patience to learn how to hunt a big one. Everybody thinks that there is an easy way to get big ones. No such luck. It takes TIME, ENERGY AND PATIENCE. Some people are unable or unwilling to make that kind of investment. IT IS YOU THAT MAKES THE CHOICE.

That sounds like if your not hunting big bucks it is because you don't have theknowledge to. You don't want to "learn how" or just want an easy kill.

And I am simply saying thatit is not as simple as " IT IS YOU THAT MAKES THE CHOICE." because sometimes circumstance, responsibilities, and time dictate your options and that can takeaway or limit thechoices you have. I feel a lot of hunters fall into this category. I wish a had a couple of good solid weeks to pursue some of the big bucks I haveseen during the off season, butit didn't work outlike that (this season). I agree with what you said to a point becauseI have been unable to makean investmentof time into a big buck thisyear but it is not due to not knowing how or nothaving the patience to hunt a big one. I only commented because when you say "mostpeople"(bothof the above quotes)you kind of lump everyone together and there are too many different circumstances with a topic like this to start lumping.But at the same time I know there are people exactly like you described, I just don't think it is "most" of us.

Good luck to all.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which is what he just said! Read the quote!
This is it in a nutshell!!!! Most people that argue against letting little ones go, don't have the time or patience to learn how to hunt a big one.
No such luck. It takes TIME, ENERGY AND PATIENCE. Some people are unable or unwilling to make that kind of investment.
Go take you little deer and stop worrying about it! Just don't complain that there are no big ones! And oh yeah, don't forget to shoot some doe!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, KP what he and I are saying are not the same. I don't need to "learn" how to hunt a big one. I might need to learn how to get more time off of work, or learn how to balance time with my three kids, family, and hunting better, or learn how to find a few more pieces of land to hunt but that is not the sameas learning how to huntbig deer. I did agree with the second part as I am unable to invest the time but it is certainly not because of a lack of patience, knowledge, or passion about the deer woods. But being unable to and unwilling to are two seperate issues and that was my point. I will go and take whatever deer I wish and you will never hear me complain about having that privelage. I may complain about beingjudged for it though, ecspecially if the judging is from fellow hunters such as yourself who feel it is their job tomake blanket comments based on little fact or understanding of another persons individual hunting circumstances, but I guess whensome feel theyare "trophy hunters"they just can't help demeaning those that are not onthat level(yet). I'm sorry I forgot to ask forpermission to speak, please accept my humble apology.

Quick Reply: little ones make big ones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.