Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Animal Rights group report on bowhunting - makes me SICK >

Animal Rights group report on bowhunting - makes me SICK

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Animal Rights group report on bowhunting - makes me SICK

Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Animal Rights group report on bowhunting - makes me SICK

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Without question, the portion of deer hit and not recovered in bowhunting is much higher than it is in gun hunting. That's just the reality of the sport. So the dilema sooner or later becomes how to justify the certainty of inflicting more pain and suffering vs. less should should bow hunting be eliminated. I don't have a good answer for that. All I know is that I love bow hunting with a passion and would be sick if it were ever to be banned. I'm not however going to pretend that it is necessary because it isn't. I'm also not going to pretend that the rate of cripling losses are anywhere near as low as in gun hunting because they're not. All I can do is my best to maximize the possibility that I make a good high percentage shot and accept the fact that now and then things will go wrong. I can only take solice in the idea that all things considered, natures way offers a far cruler scenario.
Wow. I cannot help but ask you for documentation of the very first statement here.

And the rate of "crippling losses" "vs gun-hunting?"

I think that the overwhelming majority of bowhunters strive to kill cleanly and quickly via a broadside shot at a stopped animal.

I can also say with certainty that guns hunters often shoot at running deer. A deer can move very swiftly, as we all know, and I think I'd be safe in saying that the overwhelming majority of gun hunters do NOT practice shooting at high-speed moving objects with a rifle or slug gun. There are more gun hunters than there are bow hunters in many, if not most states. Do the math.

Bottom line is that there are few, if any, reliable stats to backup what you're saying and common sense tells you that your ideas about gun hunters are probably far from the truth.

As to the author's cited article:

The article cited is just a compilation of various types of bull dung. See the quote at the bottom of page two. Utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vc1111

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Without question, the portion of deer hit and not recovered in bowhunting is much higher than it is in gun hunting. That's just the reality of the sport. So the dilema sooner or later becomes how to justify the certainty of inflicting more pain and suffering vs. less should should bow hunting be eliminated. I don't have a good answer for that. All I know is that I love bow hunting with a passion and would be sick if it were ever to be banned. I'm not however going to pretend that it is necessary because it isn't. I'm also not going to pretend that the rate of cripling losses are anywhere near as low as in gun hunting because they're not. All I can do is my best to maximize the possibility that I make a good high percentage shot and accept the fact that now and then things will go wrong. I can only take solice in the idea that all things considered, natures way offers a far cruler scenario.
Wow. I cannot help but ask you for documentation of the very first statement here.

And the rate of "crippling losses" "vs gun-hunting?"

I think that the overwhelming majority of bowhunters strive to kill cleanly and quickly via a broadside shot at a stopped animal.

I can also say with certainty that guns hunters often shoot at running deer. A deer can move very swiftly, as we all know, and I think I'd be safe in saying that the overwhelming majority of gun hunters do NOT practice shooting at high-speed moving objects with a rifle or slug gun. There are more gun hunters than there are bow hunters in many, if not most states. Do the math.

Bottom line is that there are few, if any, reliable stats to backup what you're saying and common sense tells you that your ideas about gun hunters are probably far from the truth.

As to the author's cited article:

The article cited is just a compilation of various types of bull dung. See the quote at the bottom of page two. Utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.
To answer your question, studies by the university of Michigan and Penn State university with data published in Deer & Deer Hunting book IIare 2 that I have seen. I'm sure there are many more but if you are going to pretend that bow hunting losses are on par with gun hunting then you're just fooling yourselfand I'm sure no amount of fact will change your mind. Hiding from the truth doesn't change it. I don't like the data either but I'm not going to pretend that the reality is something that it isn't. Sticking our heads in the sand doesn't help. As far as the rest of your post, where is your data?

Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Host of Hosts

Without question, the portion of deer hit and not recovered in bowhunting is much higher than it is in gun hunting

Can you back this statement up? I think your wrong! There are way more people who hunt with guns vs people who hunt with bows. That in itself would disprove your statement. How many people do you know that says I missed one..."I shot 4 times at 150 yards broadside and I missed" I just got off the phone before logging in to this forum and had those exact words spoken to me by a relative who just returned from a trip to WV. This same person hit a deer last year and we tracked it for hours and did not recover the deer. I was sick. He was not all that concerned. This time he didn't even mention if he looked for hair or blood. So there are slob hunters on both sides. I don't know about you , but almost every Archery hunter that I know spends the whole year shooting their bows with maybe a few weeks off in between seasons 3-D and Indoor Dart(computer) shooting. How many guys do you know that are as serious about efficiency with their guns? Not too many! There are some gun hunters who practice regularly, but nowhere near the numbers as Archery shooters. I see guys at the gun range all the time saying "that's good enough" and the hit a 9 inch pie plate 3 out of 5 times at 100 yards off a bench. That's pathetic if you ask me. So not only archers should prove their shooting ability, but gun hunters too. JMHO

Also VC is correct. Your statement cannot be correct due the the huge numbers advantage of gun hunters vs bow hunters. I do both myself and ALWAYS wait for a shot I know will drop that deer. Never shoot at a moving target.Are guns more powerful and offer a better chance at killing an animal instantly? Of course, but don't forget there still could be a slob hunter at the end of that trigger or release.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest thing this article shows me is the ability of the Anti's to use our own words against us. They quote our magazines, videos, books, and websites. Most of the ammunition they have came from current (or former) bowhunters. Sure they twist our words and manipulate the statistics but the non-hunting public doesn't know that.

So I guess the message is "Watch what you say because there is an Anti out there waiting to use your words against you to ban bowhunting".

That was a real eye opener to me.Hell - they even quoted Fred Bear as saying that "I would guess that at the minimum, two deer are hit
to get one. I personally know many bowhunters whose average is much worse".
Also, most of the studies they site are from the 1950s and 1960s. I think with the advancements is bowhunting technology, training, and education we've come a long way since then.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anti Hunters will do or say just about anything to "be in the right" [:@]
Old 11-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do I need data to support the idea that gun hunters practically never practice shooting at fast moving targets with rifles and slug guns? Well, I guess your request is fair in the wake of mine, but Sylvan, I will tell you, I've been hunting for nearly 4 decades and I've never seen it done. Maybe its different in your area.

Show me your data. Let's talk about it. Surely if it is so commonplace it should be available online for us to discuss.

Are your stats on a per capita basis? In other words, the sheer number of gun hunters vs bow hunters in most states would have to amount to a contradiction of your assertion.

I will remain open to your idea, but I'd like to see the research that you cite.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:34 PM

I can count on one hand the number of deer I've lost bow hunting in over 25 years. I don't honestly know how many I've killed, but it's multiple times over that...I know I've killed at least 3 per year for the last 10 years. Very seldom does a deer get out of my sight before it's dead. A double lung shot on a whitetail deer will take it out of this life in about 15 seconds or less. That's quicker than being eaten alive by coyotes or dying of disease or starvation and much more humane.

I practice year round. Most bow hunters I know do the same. None of my friends boast of "hitting a deer". Every bow hunter I associate with searches until he finds his deer. Eventually anyone will lose one for reasons that can not be changed (twigs, deer simultaneously steps at the release, gust of wind, etc). That is the exception, not the norm.

That's my data. These are facts from my bow hunting world.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never wounded a deer with a rifle. I lost 3 animals with a bow, 2 deer and one pig. One of those was yesterday. Good thing is he will live.
I made what I thought was a perfect shot, but the deer ran off with the whole arrow sticking out and then the arrow fell to the ground. It is obvious I hit the shoulder bone or elbow . I got zero penetration and not a speck of blood on the arrow or broadhead.
I do believe deer lost ratio is higher with a bow. But the overall number would still be lower than the totall number lost by a gun.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Yeah bunch of crap!!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just knowing the are using the inventor of the pod as a source makesthis article suspect, he was trying to get people and states to legalize the pod by stating high wounding rates.
It's not suspect at all, Charlie. It's a flat, bald faced lie based mostly on information from someoneI consider to be a bald faced liar. The way I see it, Benke turned rabidly anti-bowhunting and made up all kinds of lies about it - particularly byincreasing his already fictional and grossly over-inflated wound/loss statistics -because his invention was banned. Obviously, he figured if he couldn't get rich off bowhunting, then he would do his damnedest to see bowhunting die, by whatever means necessary.

Quick Reply: Animal Rights group report on bowhunting - makes me SICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.