Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When is it to dark to take a shot? >

When is it to dark to take a shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is it to dark to take a shot?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default When is it to dark to take a shot?

Would anyone take a shot at a Buck when all you can see is its outline even if your pins are still visible?

Let me add a little to this also: You can't really make out the kill zone and it's a Sunday evening (you have to work the next day).

No, this did not happen to me but did to a friend.

If you have taken this shot, what was the outcome?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Default RE: When is it to dark to take a shot?

When legal shooting hours are over, it's too dark.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

KS...I've taken a close shot, 20 yards in closing light with only my top pin really viewable. It depends on the distance of the shot, how the animal is turned and how comfortable you feel. For me, the outcome was good. I got my buck, but if you think it's too risky..it probably is. Don't take a chance wounding him. Also, if you don't have time to do some tracking late that evening or even the following day, it's probably not a wise decision to take an iffy shot. Just my opinion. He'll be back if you pass more than likely.

kel
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If all you can make out is the outline it is WAY too dark to shoot.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you practice in a variety of lighting conditions you'll know the answer. For me I usually quit with about 10 min to spare. Also if you're on a field edge it's usually brighter than in the dep woods.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken a shot when it was almost too dark. I could only see under my tree and the silouette of the buck. It was 5 yards and a perfect shot he dropped 40 yards away. However if you can't see your pins you have no buisness thinking about a shot.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

That is a good point MO, but that doesn't always mean it hasn't gotten a little darker before time is up.

Kcison- Just to make things clear, it was not me. You used "you" a lot in there and may not be refering to me exactly but just wanted to clear that up. I agree with you though, I just wanted other opinions. I was affraid he would wound the deer and then not be able to have another chance or itdie somewhereand not have the time to recover it. Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Years ago when I was an impetuous thing[&:]I took shots later than anyone should. I learned after a few marginal hits and long tracking jobs, it just isn't worth it. I no longer check to see when sunset or sunrise are. I now go by the rule of, if I can't see my pins clearly it's time to call it quits. I used to stay in a tree until I couldn't see the ground. Now I get down with enough light to see to walk a ways in the daylight. I get down leisurely and amble out. There are other days and lots of deer. If I'm hunting dark cover, like a cedar swamp, it's often light enough when I get out to see deer in fields, yet it was dark thirty in the swamp. Cloudy overcast days it's too dark for me long before legal shooting hours have passed. If I can't see my pins well through the peep it's time to get down.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM

I had a guy tell me I ran 2 deer by him one evening getting out of my stand ,He said it was still light enough to shoot and I said It wasn't light enough to see the deflections .If you do take a low percentage shot you will likly end up with a low percentage hit.I hate losing sleep at night b/c of doing something I souldn't have.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

derhhdhds

Quick Reply: When is it to dark to take a shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.