Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*&$%#@~

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM

Default RE: *&$%#@~

Yeah, basically it's a bedroom for one deer, or a family group. They may or may not use the same bed, but will bed in the same area.......hence, bedding area.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

'Give and you shall recieve'
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get a deer this yr. I don't hunt w/maps as the area I hunt is fairly flat forrest. You really have to be there to see the land to be of any true help. Experience comes w/time...... count your 5 days in the woods as experience. Learn from every trip. Where you see deer now they will be again. I remember every deer I have ever seen and where they were, where they were coming from and where they were going to. Learn to make out the patterns.
At your age basketball may be more important.........many moons ago mine was hockey. I made a choice to put school, hockey, and girls in front of hunting. I also didn't go deer hunting until after I left universtity. That was my choice ..... Now make yours. If you can do it all, good for you. I commend you. Count yourself as lucky to be in your position.
Don't be so lippy....... we're not your B-ball chums in the locker room, and most of us are out of that stage. Try that sort of talk w/your Dad and see where it gets you.
Your profile doesn't say where you are from but your signature hints towards Sask., I'm in MB. If B-Ball brings you this way maybe I could take you out to the bush I hunt and show you around. Stand loc, deer sightings and kill sights, as well a knowledge from other hunters kill sights and insights. If ya got the time. All else comes w/time.Didn't mean to be harsh
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

im from MO but i liked the picture of the buck so i used it as my signature. very good advice thank you
Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunted maybe 15-20 times, last year.

I've hunted over 30 times, this year.

I found my deer's bedding area about half way through THIS season. I'm glad I didn't find it earlier. I NOW (well....I think I do) know how I want to hunt it for the rest of THIS year......but that has NOTHING to do with how their patterns will change for late season ths year....and leading into the eary season next year. I STILL have to scout and follow them.

This isn't easy. I've harvested 3 deer with the bow, this year. I've put my time in, though. I leave for work before daylight......in hopes of learning travel routes. I scout after work.....to learn travel routes. I go home for lunch and hang stands. I go home for lunch and move trail cams. I plan my hunts around what I see. I've hunted out of the same tree, this year, exactly twice with a climber.

ALL THIS......and I have messed up more times than I care to mention. I had the best buck I've seen in my area at 12 yds. I didn't seal the deal.

This isn't easy.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

guess i will really have to devote more time then ever to get a nice buck
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, keep your confidense up you probably saw more deer than alot of hunters. Sounds to me like your doing all the right things. Just consentrate on the shot at the heat of the moment. Pick a small spot on the deer to aim at and talk yourself through the the release.I tell myself anchor,aim,elbow out, aim, release every time I shoot.
As far as scouting goes the most important thing to look for is DEER. I would say some people get so involved looking for sign of deer they miss the deer.
Can you tell where they are bedding? Can you tell where they are feeding?...Put you camera on the most active trial you can find probably near some natural food. good luck next year...practice shooting,
Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Kwaldeier, don’t get too discouraged. It sounds like you have a very short season where you are. Here in VA the archery season starts in early October, goes to Nov 17 (the lastweek of which is also muzzleloader season, so the deer really start to get paranoid from all the noise and their buddies dying), then rifle season is in (where you bowhunt, if you’re crazy enough with all the yahoos in the field with their guns (and too often beer)), then late archery comes in Dec 4 through Jan 6.

I’m not telling you this to make you jealous, I’m telling you this because, even with all that time, the success rate for bowhunters is around 30% in VA, which means an average bowhunter (combining novices and people with 20 years’ experience) gets one deer bowhunting every three years. So, don’t feel bad or inferior at all. Bowhunting is a VERY difficult sport in which to be successful!

Also, to echo what other have said, it would probably help you to get better at judging distances. One of the first things I do when it’s light enough is to carefully estimate 10 yards and 20 yards from my stand (I don’t shoot much beyond 20 yards, partly because I’m hunting in the woods, and after 20 yards, there are usually branches in the way), then mentally draw a circle at those distances and note where those circles cross my shooting lanes, so I can make more educated guesses when I actually see deer.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You asked what is the most important thing but I think there are two things.

1) Practice the way you intend to hunt. If you hunt elevated practice elevated.

and

2) Hunt where there are deer. So find the trails. Rubs and scrapes are no gaurantee.

You've seen them and shot at them so you're doing a lot of things right. Now practice and scout and it will come together.

Tom
Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 PM

My opinion, In order of importance.

1) Read Read Read.
This is a great place to learn. Alot of knowledge here if you spend the time. Also pick up some books on Deer. There are alot of good reads explaining everything from anatomy of the animals to the rut phases and even feeding cycles.

2) Scouting,
I scout 365 days a year, I live where I hunt so I have that advantage, But it is KEY that you know where and WHY the deer are where they are even when it's not hunting season.

3) Be proficiant in shooting.
3D tournements. Perfect way to field judge distances ad get put into real life situatiions that you dont get at the indoor ranges.

4) Stand placement
Setup more than one stand per browsing area so you can play the wind and have options. If the wind is not right, dont force a hunt. May try hunting natural funnels and bottlenecks, and cruising trails that cut through smaller trail that are used by doesto and from feeding to beddingduring pre-rut and rut and hunting near food sources early season and late season.

5)Patience.
I took me 5 years and 267 times out bow hunting before i even got to draw on a shooter buck. It don't happen overnight.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck

BB

5)
Old 11-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

This will probably be a long post. I'll try to give some info.Remember, some of this is just based on my opinion,so here it goes.

There are 3 basic factors to be succesful in any kind of hunting. The first( and most important to me) is accuracy. You need to be able to shoot your weapon of choice accurately. You need to practice until you are confident that you can hit what you shoot at. If you are using a bow, you need to also be able to judge distance.The best hunting place in the world won't be any good if youcan't hit what you are shooting at. If you only get one chance all year, you want to make your shot count.

The best form of practice with a firearm( this is my opinion) is dry fireing. Get some of those Snap caps( fake shells designed for dry fireing with a cushoined primer) and practice. The thing about dry fireing is, that you can do it almost anywhere. You don'tneed a range. I've practiced in the backyard, living room, etc... ( beware of nosey neighbors)Shoot at birds, leaves, marks on trees, etc... I've even cut out photos of deer from magazines and taped them on a big piece of poster board for my daughter to practice at.

Also dry fireing doesn't make any noise. This is good and helps reduce flinching. It is also cheap. You don't need to buy boxes of shells or drive anywhere. You could fire hundreds of shots and it won't cost a thing and you will benefit greatly from it. Dry fire practice works!

Just be sure your weapon is sighted in. A few rounds of live fire practice won't hurt either. Just shot as often as you can. Practice, practice and more practice. Get to that point where you know you are good!

The next factor, scouting;

You need to get out and find the game you are after. Scouting can be done year round. Even if you are not looking game sign you can look to find out how food sources are doing. Are there apples starting to form on those trees in the spring? Is the farmer rotating crop fields this year? This is just a small piece of the puzzle.

Food sources are where the deer will be at until mid fall. In the fall about the second week of October, everything in the whitetail's world starts to change. Cornfields will be harvested, acorns start falling as well as some kinds of apples. There are more humans walking in the woods. The rut is getting closer and bucks start becoming less interested in food and more interested in rubbing, scraping and looking for does. Things change at a fats pace during this time.

The deer you found and patterned in late summer will start changing their patterns. Food sources are changing. The deer patterned in late summer will still be in these patterns until very early fall. But as acorns start falling deer will maybe switch from feeding in an alfalfa field and start feeding on acorns, for example.

White oak acorns are a deer's favorite food. They usually prefer these over all other foods. Learn to identify white oak trees and acorns. White oaks have rounded lobes on their leaves while red oaks are pointed. Deer will eat red oaks, but like the sweeter white oaks better. The acorns of a white oak are elongated and look about the size and shape of those foil covered chocolate easter eggs. They are usually a bright greenish yellow when they first start falling and alot of times do not have that cap on them.

Sometimes you will find lots of red oak acorns all over the ground but it doesn't look like deer are eating them. REMEMBER these spots. This is where you will find deer later in the winter when the snow is on. After everthing else is gone they willl be going after these red oak acorns. Sometimes in the snow, you will see places where the snow and leaves are all kicked up by deer. Chances are, they are digging up these acorns. These acorns are short and stubby and almost always have a cap on them.

Bedding areas are usually thick places. If you walk in the woods in the dead of winter, you can easily tell where the thickest places are. Scouting as soon as you fill your tag is probably the best time to scout for next year. Most guys put away their stuff and hang it up after they fill their tag. Don't do that. Keep going out and try to learn where the deer go and what they do during the season. Snow helps greatly. You can see tracks and trails that let you know how deer travel. If you are scouting and jump a deer when there is snow, back track it. Find out where it came from and what it did. LEARN!If it was feeding , back track it and find its bedding area.

Just get out there and learn all you can. The more time you spend in your hunting area the more you will learn. Scouting after the season closesis good because you won't be spooking the deer you will be hunting. This is a good time to back track and stomp through those bedding areas. If you do your scouting after filling your tag, or after the season closes, you'll be able to find a good spot for next year.

The last factor, persistance.

Don't give up, keep gioing out and keep trying. If you practiced shooting until you are confident in your abilities, and you've scouted enough to know that you are in a good area, then all it takes is time. The more time you spend out there the better your chancesand the more you will learn.

Scouting cameras;
Cameras can be used many ways to scout. Some guys just put them out there by some bait. This gets good photos and lets you know what kind of deer are in the area. Other guys put them on scrapes.This lets you know what bucks are there and how big the are. This will let you know if you want to passon the small 8pt and wait for the big 8 or maybe that thick 10pt. Get the idea? Still others put the camera on a deer trail they may plan on hunting over. This way they can see how often it is used and at what times. Basically cameras are used all these ways to helpaid in success.

Then there is the whole issue of scent control/ Deer have awesome noses. It is there No.1 defense. You need to get your cloths as scent free as possible. Wash them in baking soda or a commercial deer detergent and store them in a plastic bag.. There is much more to this which I'm siure you can find more info on in these forums.

I know this post is long. I just wanted to give some info to help you out. Much of this is just based on my opinion. Others may feel differently. These things have helped me fill many tags over the years I hope they help you the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.