Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Midwest Bowhunters? >

Midwest Bowhunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Midwest Bowhunters?

Old 11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Midwest Bowhunters?

Anybody bowhunt pretty hard after the rut is pretty much over and gun season is done? What tactics do you guys switch to or find successful?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Midwest Bowhunters?

Really the same story, different day. Travel routes and food sources. I actually see MORE deer after rifle season.....usually.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt food sources. After the rut is over and the temperature drops deer will start to have to increase food consumption to produce body heat.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do just because it's better than sitting around the house. I have only seen 1 shooter before though while hunting after the 2nd shotgun season here in Illinois, but a good number of does.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the most important thing is to find out what the deer are eating. where i hunt there isn't one big bedding area so that is pretty unreliable.

This is going to be the first late season I've hunted in 4 years. I've been pretty lucky the last few.I'm hoping to get my first ever post rut buck thisyear.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 PM

Exaclty what everyone else said. After the rut Bucks have been chasing does for weeks straight and they lose a lot of weight. After the rut deer mainly concentrate on food and getting their weight back up. So hunt food sources or trails leading to food sources.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand the food source theory, but here in Illinois, corn and soy bean fields are everywhere, do you guystry to find bedding areas, creeks....I have hunted som late season's in the past but only see does or really small bucks, do the bigger deer turn into creatures of the night once again?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

There are still does that have not been bred yet so though its lessened, bucks will still be looking for does. Find the latest cut corn fields or still standing corn, that is where I usually see them IF I see them.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which rut, the first one or the secondary rut? As far as I see it up here in Northern MN we are just gearing up for the second rut here in about 2-3 weeks. That will put us well into Dec. For the last week of season I will try to find one of the last corn fields and stalk it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am talking after 2nd rut, like mid Dec to end of season which is like 15th of Jan.

Quick Reply: Midwest Bowhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.