Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Up close and personal!! >

Up close and personal!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Up close and personal!!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Spike

Default Up close and personal!!

This evening i was sitting on the edge of a wheat field, pratically inside a pine tree. I look over to my left and there was two does about ten yards away from me. They totally snuck up behind. I was about to pass out. They caught a whiff of me and started trotting. I yelled and they stopped in their tracks. I pulled back my Bow and took a shot. I missed by inches. It was one of the best hunts ever. I've been that close to deer in tree stands but never that close on the ground. It was one of the most exciting hunts. Even though i missed.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Up close and personal!!

Getting up close and personal is awesome. I was sitting in some crp last weekend and had a doe see me, come up to about 5 yards, stare me down, stomp a foot then turn around head back the other way and go around me in the crp. Neat stuff. The next morning I was walking around in the timber like the inexperienced hunter i am and jumped a buck at about ten yards. I was almost as surprised as he was. We stared at each other for about ten seconds while i tried to act like a tree. That didn't work. Next time I think i'll draw first like i'm a quail hunter.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:51 PM

Just wait untill you have one close enough you could literally reach out and touch it. Now that is a rush and a half.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM

congrats
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats cool, don't think I have been really that close on the ground while hunting. Had many deer under me where I could jump on them thats fun also.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Quick tip: When your in a stare down squint or close your eyes so they can't see them. This has been a big help when I've been in a stare down with a deer.

Last year I was hunting the ground leaning up against a huge poplar that I've hunted many times. Two does and fork horn came browsing through shortly after daylight in the corner of the woods where I was at and one doe literally passed within about 4 feet of me. She stopped and looked straight at me, but since I had my eyes mostly closed and I was partially facing away she couldn't see my eyes and after about a minute she went on by. That was the most exciting moment I've ever had in the woods. Seriously though don't ever let a deer see your eyes move because that's where they always seem to look.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

I had a small buck sneak up on me yesterday in a similar situation. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon and I thought what the heck I'll go sit near the field next door for an hour. I was sitting up against a fence post facing the field with woods behind me. I heard something in the woods and slowly turned to see where it was since I was between two entrances to the field and wanted to see if it was heading toward either one. Couldn't see anything without moving too much so I slowly turned my head back around to see a buck coming right towards me at about 20 yards. He's looking right at me but gets to about 5 yards and stops.Stares for about 30 seconds at which point a squinted having read that somewhere on here before. He took a step back and continued in the direction he was heading. All this time my bow is sitting at my feet ! I'll know better next time to keep my eyes on the field and bow in my hand.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 AM

This happen to me last night. Had 4 does walk up to me about 5 yards away. Pulled my bow back and they ran away. What a great feeling
Old 11-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wait untill you have one close enough you could literally reach out and touch it. Now that is a rush and a half.
That is a rush and a half. A bizzare feeling having one that close. Had a doe almost step on my foot once while I was sitting in a natural ground blind. Pretty cool being on their level.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 AM

I had a doe walk within arms reach many years ago. You should have seen her come unglued when I told her hello.

Quick Reply: Up close and personal!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.