Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 There goes my chance at a brute!! >

There goes my chance at a brute!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

There goes my chance at a brute!!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default There goes my chance at a brute!!

Well with 2.5 days left of bowseason here in NY I think my opportunity for mature buck walked by me this morning.

Around 7:00am I caught a glimpse of a deer in the alfalfa field in front of me. My stand is tucked back in some thickets 50 yards so I can't really make it out too well other than I was pretty sure I saw a glimpse of a rack. Anyway I knew he was heading towards me so I clip the release on and get ready.

I catch another look at him as he gets closer to the field edge and towards my stand. Definitely a buck and looks like a decent one, but not quite sure yet. Then he finally ducks into the thickets and holy crapola it's about a 130"+ 9 pointer with a HUGE body.

He quarters in from the left standing right in one of my lanes at 22 yards. Too hard of a quartering in angle for a shot. I knew he was going to cross in front of me anyway so I hold off. He starts coming down the happy trail to my shooting lane that will give me a 20 yard chip shot slightly quartering away. He's moving right down the trail and as his head goes behind the cluster of trees I draw back. Where'd he go?[:@] I'm at full draw for 45 seconds or so and he takes one more step. Only enough for me to see the monster rack again and his head!

I'm at full draw for what seems like eternity and he turns to the right facing me now. Not how it was suppose to happen. Now I have absolutely nothing but a good view of his headgear. I'm trying to hold my bow as long as I can hoping he turns for me. Trying to relieve a little tension by holding the string with my chin.He's just hanging out in front of me while I'm at draw. This goes on forever. I'm starting to shake at this point. I let out a little grunt (not to call him) because I'm about at the end of being able to hold my draw. He turns barely back to the left, but not enough for a shot. Still way too hard of a quartering in shot.

So I've held as long as I can. I have to let off. Sure enough as I do he looks right up at me, turns, and trots off back to the field[:@]. So after several passes on various different bucks (2 around 115-120ish), a zillion hours in stand, another zillion miles on these feet, I finally get one that I was after in bowrange and that's the way it goes down. Oh well maybe he'll be around next year.

Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest. I feel better now.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: There goes my chance at a brute!!

Rats. I hate when that happens. Good luck next time. Ive still got till Jan.. And as of now, Ive seen nothing but 2 crappy bucks. Ive shot both my does, but have not seen a decent buck. To hot here in Texas. Ill get one over Thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 AM

I know the feeling. I had a very good 10 show up a few weeks ago, to onlyhang up, and follow some does off the ridge. I felt confident of another chance until the poachers moved in onme,killing 3 bucks off the ridge with rifle--1 at night,left layingthere, one unknow, but left a gut pile on a scrape I was huynting, and the other a broken racked 8 that they wounded--which ultimately lead to their being arrested. Probably too late though. A buck like that doesn't hang around with all of that going on.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Last I looked New York has a firearms season too .
Old 11-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last I looked New York has a firearms season too .
I have a better chance of seeing moses than that buck during gun season.[:-]
Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

That same thing happened to me the last night of the first part of the Archery season. It sucks big time, but that is the way it happens sometimes.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, talk about some bad luck, but thats bowhunting and what makes it special. It takes an awful lot to come togeher to harvest an animal. You still got 2 days, get out there and get him. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

NYB if New York is anything like MI you are correct you get 1 shot. I hope you see him again!!!

I would like to applaud you for not taking a low % shot. Too many times we read on HNI about the ones we coulld not find. We all need to show some respect for your disipline.

I say Good Job Sir
Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Spike

It's much better to hunt him some other day than to make a bad shot. Believe me, I learned the hard way!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn seems to happen like that more often then not, but I have found that those who wiat and dont' risk the low percentage shots will get rewarded, hopefully he will be around again. What part of NY are you in?

Quick Reply: There goes my chance at a brute!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.