Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huntin' Buddy's "Deer of a Lifetime"

Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Huntin' Buddy's "Deer of a Lifetime"

When I lived in SC, my huntin’ buddy and I spent many a day training and hunting waterfowl/doves. When I moved to NC in ’00…..the population of ducks didn’t warrant continuing that pursuit. So…..my huntin’ buddy became just a pet and a friend. When I found out, last week, her kidneys were failing…..and that she wouldn’t be with me long….I thought I’d love to get her back out to help me “hunt” one more time. She’s really tired a lot, now…..but I though if I could get a deer…..she could help me track it down.

Having that plan in place…..I needed a little help from above…..and to close the deal when that help appeared. Yesterday…..I saw 8 deer meander around the outskirts of my set…..and feed away. I had about 15 minutes of legal shooting light left…..and a lone doe appeared…walking directly towards me. She walked directly to my tree……having me do the little pivots with my feet to get turned around. She stopped just past me @ 7-8 yds…..quartering away….leg forward…..and stood there. I arrowed her and she dropped in her tracks. I followed up with a second arrow….and it was over in 30 seconds. It couldn’t have been more perfect if…………well…..it was perfect.

I’m not an openlyreligious person…..but I thanked God for the gift he’d just given us (as I always do). This one was special….the whole way it panned out. I’d asked him for this….and he delivered. A friend said he too gives thanks…..every time he lays his hands on a deer…..for he’s the first human to have touched that animal. This doe touched us, too.

I went home and got Ashley…..my wife….my son…..and we brought the ATV/trailer over to retrieve Ashley’s deer. My wife, Lisa, snapped the photos….and Ashley found her deer. I was humbled……..

I just thought I’d share my story. I hope you all have wonderful seasons. See her recovery, below.

Jeff

Old 11-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Huntin' Buddy's "Deer of a Lifetime"

More photos

Old 11-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for Ashley and good for you too. She looks like a heck of a dog. It is hard when you know yer gonna lose a loved pet like that. Congrats on the doe. She looks like a puppy with that smile on her face.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:59 AM

Congratulations SBGobblers!!! What a memory you will have. I'm sorry to hear about your pup, but you will always have this great memory everytime you get a little lonely in the deer stand. Hey nice camo too Make sure you send the pics to Chuck i'm sure he would love to see them. Congratulations again. Maybe with Rob this weekend you guys can put some bone on the ground.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an awesome story.. it's a keeper!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats but is it me or is that dog bigger than the deer?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is probably the best story that i have heard alll year man i love labs congratsSB and ashley
Old 11-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Wis.....THAT deer's bigger than all of us.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

congrats but is it me or is that dog bigger than the deer?
Looks like its about 60 lbs or so...

Look at that last picture...

Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Hey Wis.....THAT deer's bigger than all of us.

Jeff
You ARE kidding, right?

Quick Reply: Huntin' Buddy's "Deer of a Lifetime"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.