Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The moon?

Old 11-18-2002, 08:10 PM

Default The moon?

Who really plays by the moon? I hunt whenever i can, but, it seems like lately the moon has become a roll. Last night i was in my stand till 15 minutes after shootin time, and it was still light enough to see my pin. Do deer really move strictly by moon phases? I figure they will move at night if they can see, which is when the moon tends to be full. What are yalls thoughts and plans for hunting the moon?
Old 11-18-2002, 09:08 PM

Default RE: The moon?

Deer diffinately move by moon phases. Its well documented. I use a gmoonguide to help for which days is best to hunt. I always hunt when I can but when the moon is in the right phase hunting is better. Heck we do nighttime deer counts and deer bed lots at night also, they dont feed all night. Good luck in gun season, hope you get the big boy.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:19 AM

I agree, I hunt every chance I get but I look at the moonphase and let it help decide where I'm going to hunt. Good luck, just something else to think about.

J. Shoot

Searching
Old 11-19-2002, 05:42 AM

Well I've been seeing deer every morning for the last couple of weeks. Now in the last few days they haven't been out. In the afternoons they've been coming out right before dark. Then night before last they were out a good hour earlier. I'm going out now. Let you know what I find when I get back. CYA! Gone Huntin'
Old 11-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really hunt by the moon or use a moon guide or anything. I am aware however of its position. In my experience, I try to hunt on the rising moon. I have found that in a new moon phase, morning hunting seems to be best. In the full moon phase, I have found that deer move best in the evening. Also in the full moon phase I have found it tough to hunt in the early morning, and deer will start to move around 10-11.

Another factor that I follow is if there is a very dark night in any phase of the moon followed by a bright morning. Deer movement will ussually be good.

But there are other factors that also that must be considered for these mentioned things to work including temperature and warm and cold fronts.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Moon phases are very important although I still go out and hunt no matter what. I have kept a log for the past six seasons as to weather, temp and moon. I have included my son's info in this log also. The info I have collected shows a clear upswing in deer movement during the new moon and a clear, severe down swing during periods of a full moon.

I have found no changes for the "full moon syndrome" with the only exception being a SEVERE weather front approaching within a 12 hour period. Temperature changes doesn't seem to make a difference in a full moon but does have somewhat of an affect on new moon.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

basserman, yours and my findings as well as many others seem to point to the "Full Moon Syndrome". However, have you notced that statistics seem to show that more deer are killed during the full moon cycle.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yup BobCo, I have seen stats. Based on my journal it is hard to believe the stats. It could be that holidays, number of hunters in the woods countless other factors. My log only shows information for my son and myself. I am lucky to have a significant amount of land to hunt and am careful not to burn out stands as I "trophy hunt". (my choice only). I hunt alot. In fact I have missed hunting 1 night in the past 24 days. I can't explain the stats based on my info.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya Basserman, I scratch my head on that also. I have friends that can't believe the stats either. I envy you on your amount of land and ability to hunt often. Best of luck on that trophy!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:04 AM

I'm always out hunting for a good moon, its just that some are fuller than other!
oops maybe that ain't what you're talking about! i hunt any time i can ,just love being out there. come to think of it i'll go out now for a few hour. don't plan on seeing aythig butt?????