Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attn Bear Hunters.... >

Attn Bear Hunters....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attn Bear Hunters....

Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Attn Bear Hunters....

What do you prefer.....Bait or Dogs????

I should get drawn this year for a Wisconsin Black Bear tag.Now I have the option to hunt over bait or with dogs. I know it is competely up to me, but this is my first time bear hunting and would like to hear what others had to say. I would think bait would be more up close and personal, but I heard dogs are exciting. What do you think????
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attn Bear Hunters....

Why not keep it fair and spot and stalk.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have taken half a dozen blacks, aLL of them taken with the bow, all of them were targets of opportunity while deer hunting.

If I was going to target one, bait would be the way to go I guess.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 AM

using bait or dogs is a joke
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your efforts in answering this question. I understand it is a real challenge to give a serious answer. Although I do enjoy reading responses, these were a complete waste of your and my time. Thanks anyways
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

First yeah gotta know wi to comment on it. I've been hunting wi for 15 yrs. Always in the woods. I've seen one bear. Theres alot but are hard to just go out and say I'm gonna spot and stalk one. You want a real answer use bait. You'll get our shot. Spot and stalk you won't. If you can't answer someone's question for real don't waste the hunters time.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks deernutz, yeah, I've been hunting Wisconsin for 12 years now (just moved to Iowa). Regardless of bait or dogs, I'm going to go with a guide. If you only get drawn ever 6-7 years, you better make it worth it. Do you know or recommend and guides? It would be in zone A or A1.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Spike

I hunted with dogs this year. It was great. Shot a 278 pound bear.If you could find someone with dogs to guide you I'd go for it.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Where I hunt in Canada or N. MN bait is the only way to do it. No visibility for spot and stalk. Out of 7 bear hunts I have only taken 4 bears and it is not uncommon to put 30 hrs in a stand in a 6 day week and never see a bear. Hunting over bait is no give me by any means. Hunting over bait allows one to judge a bear and wait for proper shot placement. If you think it is a joke then you are ignorant and don't know your arse from a hole in the ground.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Nicely put hardcorehunter. You really have to know the hunting environment before you can comment. I don't know of anyone here in Minnesota that doesn't use bait for bear hunting. It's what works and its legal. That said, I'm thinking about trying to book my first bear hunt this year. Checked out a few places but haven't committed yet. Any suggestions? You can PM me if you're willing to share.

Quick Reply: Attn Bear Hunters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.