Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Went doe hunting and look who showed up >

Went doe hunting and look who showed up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Went doe hunting and look who showed up

Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went doe hunting and look who showed up

Gun season is open in Mo right now so I went over to IL this morning to fill my doe tag. I got a buck opening day so only a doe tag left.I am sitting at the end of a brushy ditch that empties into a swampy area. Right after sunrise I hear a deer snorting to the North. I look over there and a huge bodied buck is chasing a small buck out of the swamp about 80 yds away. He chased him into a picked corn field and returned to the edge of the swamp and stares in. I figure he has a hot doe cornered there. Then another small buck appears and he runs both of them off again. He then pushes the doe out the other side of the swamp and across a field into another woods,the 2 little ones follow at a distance. This buck had a huge bodie but I am not sure about his rack. A shooter for sure but I didn't get a good look thru the brush.

About a half hour later I see a deer coming across a corn field to my South. I put the binocs on him and see it is a nice buck headed for the ditch I am sitting on. He enters the ditch about 150 yds away. I can see him moving around, so I am going to mess with him since I can't shoot him anyway. I grunted and did my version of a buck roar and snort wheeze with my voice. He came out of the ditch and started trotting straight to my tree. He stopped a couple of times and I grunted again and here he came. That is when I got the pics. He came to within 15 yds of my tree before he saw me and took off. How come I can never get them to respond to my calls when I can shoot them with my bow?????????

Then about 15 minutes later I see another buck following the same trail as the last one. I grunted at him too, but he just kept on going. I am pretty sure this one had one side of his rack broken off. Looked like a 2yr old 120 class deer.

I think I am just going DOE HUNTING from now on.What a morning and I never picked up my bow.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Went doe hunting and look who showed up

another view

Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man what I wouldn't have given to have him wonder by my stand. Waiting for late season now. Beautiful deer, nice mass.

Shane
Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Beauty...sounds like you had a great morning.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck.....sounds like I needed to be in the stand next to you this morning.

That frost we had down here really made things interesting this morning, but no big bucks in range for me in my part of the county.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the bucks were on the prowl this morning. I just wish I would have taken my video camera.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Spike

Figures that would happen. I guess that's how it always goes, huh? Question for you... How come you didn't hunt with your bow during rifle season in MO. That's what I do when I am around. The bucks are chasing right now there in central MO. My buddy has had several smaller bucks coming by him, he is just waiting until Mr. Big shows up.

Good luck with the does...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh if only I could post some pictures from the video I shot the last week. 3 buck that are absolutley amazing and one in particular an 8 point pushing 170".....WOW.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave I bowhunt mostly in my subdivision. Most people don't even know I am there. If I went during gun season I would have to wear orange and would really stand out. Don't want to offend anyone.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

That settles it - I'm DOE hunting the rest of the year

Quick Reply: Went doe hunting and look who showed up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.