Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rut theory question? >

Rut theory question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut theory question?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Rut theory question?

Why do I read so many posts about the rut that claim it must be cold for the deer to breed? I don't understand that. By that theory, there would never be a rut in say, south Florida or Mexico.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rut theory question?

It is all relative to the area.

In NW Wisconsin, where I hunt, anything about 55 degrees would shut the deer movement down right now. They have coats for and are adapted to temps less than that.

I would assume that in Texas, the deer activity would shut down around 80 degrees or so...and so on.

Kinda the same as to why us Minnesotans head to Florida, it is 60 degrees, and we are in shorts in the surf while the locals are in vests and hats!

The heat does not shut down breeding, just causes more movement to happen at night.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 AM

The cold weather increases the testosterone in bucks, but it does not make the does want to breed or go into estrous.

The amount of daylight is what causes the rut to kick in.

Does go into heat or estrous for only 24-48 hours each, and when they go into estrous can't be predicted precisely.

We see bucks chasing does because one or more does has come into heat and the bucks know that the rest of the does will come into estrous at any time.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

The cold weather keeps deer moving during the day, which makes it likely you will see them and perhaps have a shot. If it is warm, most of the deer movement will occur under the cover of darkness, when it is cooler. The only effect temps have on the rut is when you will actually see deer movement. With thier winter fur, the deer are more comfortable to move when it's not 70 degrees F and sunny like it is here in VA right now.

I may be wrong, but I havn't seen any deer on my stands since I shot one on Oct. 30th. The weather has been too warm and that is just what I believe, others may differ, but I sat out today because of the high temp and near full moon. I look for all of next week to be very good because of the moon phase and expected lower temps, but that's just me
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

in southern places,hot isconsiderdto be 80 and in the north its 40...
Old 11-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Same deal here in NY. The rut can't be avoided, but you won't see near the daytime activity if it's above normal temps. Been warm here the last week and I haven't seen squat from my stand. The woods are loaded with green eyes at night though.[:@][:@]
Old 11-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Same deal here in NY. The rut can't be avoided, but you won't see near the daytime activity if it's above normal temps. Been warm here the last week and I haven't seen squat from my stand. The woods are loaded with green eyes at night though.[:@][:@]
wow temps arent even that high above normal,
stupid deer!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the warmer temps we have had lately I'm not seeing much of anything until dark. Too dark.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:25 AM

im not seeing anything at all havent seen a deer since about oct 23
Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not looking to start an argument here, but disagree with the statement that "cold weather increases the testosterone in bucks". From the scientific reading that I've done, it's changes in day length that stimulate the pituitary gland in the brain (via photoperiodism or biological clock) which regulates the production of reproductive hormones like testosterone. Thatcolder weather and the changes in day length happen to go hand in hand is a simple coincidence, but the colder weather itself has nothing to do with an increase in testosterone.

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

The cold weather increases the testosterone in bucks, but it does not make the does want to breed or go into estrous.

The amount of daylight is what causes the rut to kick in.

Does go into heat or estrous for only 24-48 hours each, and when they go into estrous can't be predicted precisely.

We see bucks chasing does because one or more does has come into heat and the bucks know that the rest of the does will come into estrous at any time.

Quick Reply: Rut theory question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.