Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted AGAIN!!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:22 AM

Default RE: Busted AGAIN!!

I agree with the others. The doe pee may be part of the problem. Instead of trying to cover up your scent with some sort of masking agent, Just use eliminator type spays, to go as scent free as possible. Also try to choose a tree that is wider than your body or face your stand away from where the deer are coming from that way you can use the tree for cover.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Get rid of the doe pee on your boots. Try a scent killer instead. If you want to leave a doe pee trail use a drag that can be hung at ground level once you get in to your stand.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 AM

I agree.
Haven't you read the warning on the bottle of Doe pee? "Do not put on your body, you could be attacked"

Drag the doe pee on a drag rag and then hang it about 4 ft off the ground in a shooting lane.
Maybe move your stand to another nearby tree to throw them off?
Good luck
Old 11-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lose the doe pee on the boots! As far as breath is concerned flossing and brushing is good, also try chewing on some parsley. There is a brath product in pill form that uses parsley oil and supposedly works from the inside out. Use Baking soda and not the baking soda toothpaste,it has mint in it usually.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

for the breath eat an apple before leaving the truck or try apple gum

Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Spike

I think a lot of guys ignore their backpacks. Maybe that's a source of odor for you too. Our hands give off lots of odor and everytime we touch the stuff in our packs we put some odor on it, the rope forpulling up ourbow, our knife that has little bits of deer blood and guts onthe sheath, etc., etc. I'd suggest a good dusting of scent absorbing powder. Sprinkle some more in there at least once a week. I think it's made a difference for me.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always take the apple with me for a snack in the stand....
deer love apples and will not be alarmed by the scent at all...
ive had small does come into my area searching for an apple that i had ate and discarded into some thick brush. dont worry about the noise...deer hear critters russl'n around on the ground all day long
Old 11-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The pee is your problem. Go in scent free. Wash your clothes and yourself with the scent free soaps and try that. I had 5 different deer downwind of me this morning, once in a while they would pop up their heads thinking they got something than look around a bit and go back to browsing. Just try and smell like nothing.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replys,
never thought of the doe pee getting me busted, but now that I think of it that may be the prob.

I wash My cloths (camo pants, long sleave camo shirt, button down camo shirt, long johns shirt/bottoms, gloves, boonie hat , face net) in hunter specialties sent free, from the dryer the cloths are hung on a tree 50 yrds from the house, I shower in sent free soap/poo and walk out and dress in the back yard, slip on the rubber boots, spray doe pee on the boots and go.
I always set up so they come in from behind Me, so I get a shot as they pass in front of Me, problem is they lock up about 5-10 yards behind Me.
I hunt a swamp bottom, the wind changes every few minutes.
I am rock still and they come in and lock up about 10 yards from the tree, and look for me till one finally looks up and notices Me, but is not alarmed by seeing Me, just never takes her eyes off Me.
Had one come in a few weeks back and lock up, the leaves where still on and I had plenty of branches between Me and the ground behind and to the sides, she spent 20 minutes looking around streching her head out looking up all around, never saw Me through the leaves but she was steady looking up through the leaves all over.
I use a climber and move all ove rhte property, so they do not know the locations.

I will ditch the doe pee and go sent free and let You know.

As far as cover, only so many trees that a climber will go up, tall straight trees.

My heart was racing for 30 min the other night,trying to drawwith 3 deeron alert below Me, I collaped in the seat when it was over and all most threw up, the nerves where shot, got to luv it.

Slack
Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 PM

I agree that the Doe pee is probably your problem. I too am a believer in the no scent approach.

The more I hunt the more I am convinced that the biggest give away is soaps, shampoos, and deodorant. Make sure you are washing up properly to go