Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One last time

Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One last time

I took a day off yesterday to try and find one of those big boys chasing the ladies.

I sat in stand from morning until 10:00 and had two good bucks come by. One was chasing a doe right towards me and she stopped and looked behind me and took off the other direction. I didn't know what she was running from then a coyote comes down the trail. I was soo mad becasue the buck trailing that doe was a grood size 4X4. That coyote is no longer living today though.

I forgot to mention that was the fourth coyote that had gone by me that morning. The second coyote scared the 6 does that were feeding 30 yards in front of me for about an hour off.

10 minutes later another 130 class deer walked down the tree line just out of range right where I previously had my stand. After that nothing came by so I decided to get down and go eat some lunch and then head to my evening spot. There are no trees to hang a stand from in this spot so I built a little brush blind. I see a deer come out onto this old road and notice it is a buck but very odd looking. He started walking staight at me and just kept on comming. He reminded me of Mossy Horns (not quite as big though) and was the coolest looking deer I have ever seen. He gets to 20 yards and turns broadside. I drew but by the time I got my sights on him all that was visible was his rear end. I held the bow as long as I could waiting for him to come into the next clearing but he just stopped moving so I decided to try and let down. He heard me and trotted off.

2 minutes later a very large 5X5 (150") steps out from the same location and starts grunting and walking my way. He turns broadside but he was about at 60 yards. He stood there for about 5 minutes and then went back into the brush. I rattled and he came down behind me and started raking a tree over until it was dark. That was the last day I had to hunt and rifle season opens tomorrow and the first part of the archery season is done.

Although I didn't get to arrow one of those big boys it was probably the best day I have ever had hunting.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM

Default RE: One last time

Cool day!
Too bad you didn't get a shot.
Maybe they will still be there after gun season?