Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer tracking Question? >

Deer tracking Question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer tracking Question?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Deer tracking Question?

As I rapidly approach the half century mark I find it a bit harder to see blood at night using flashlights. I have been told that a lantern gives much better light for tracking at night than flashlights. Does it matter what kind of lantern..kero..propane..or battery powered? Is any one type better than another?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer tracking Question?

I think the kero or propane works much better then battery. I have used all three. Propane is the easiest between two. I would also suggest a sheild for the latern to direct some of the light. Hope that helps.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

if i have to track a deer at night i use a battery run spot light and that works just fine
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like propane best.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a propane lantern. They put out more light than any battery powered light you can carry. Almost all of my tracking jobs are at night, so I've done a quite a few of them. I was buying those cheaper Coleman lanterns with 2 mantles, but I would have trouble breaking mantles and the top wouldn't stay on straight and I was also breaking globes. Then I got a North Star lantern also made by Coleman. I'll tell you, this is a great lantern. I think it was about 50 bucks. It has a larger mantle, but it is a single mantle and is fastened at the top and bottom. The globe has a guard around it and when you tighten down the top, it tightens against the guard and not the globe. That allows the globe to sit inside the guard without any bind on it at all. I have had this lantern for at least 3 years and I haven't replaced a mantle yet, nor have I had any other problems. It is well worth the extra money. I also use it around here on the farm in the winter when lambing. It will almost warm up a small room, too, lol.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't get a brighter light than them new flash lights with the LED or what ever bulb thay have in them. Super bright for sure. I have one that strapson my box head and one I carry. I highly reccomend them.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Try a blue colored flashlight,they really make blood glow nicely.