Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is horrible >

This is horrible

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is horrible

Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 AM

Default This is horrible

Ok well my buddy yesterday went out for a few hours befor work and ended up hitting a MONSTER 8 point he said. It was a 1/4 to shot but he was shooting a cross bow do to a bad arm and the arrow went all the way in but never came out.
Any ways he went to work and called me about 12 o clock. (deer was shot around 6:30 am)
But he calls me cuz the deer ran in to the property that i work on.
So i go out and look and dont find nothing since i really wasnt sure of exactly were the deer was. But he said it went out to the corn feild and then ran in to the apple trees.

So i look and dont find nothin, Then he gets home and looks and still dosent see anything. Well then he went back in to the woods and found blood.
(the deer in the feild ended up being another big buck!)
But he followed the blood threw the woods and in to the corn feild but at the other end and could see where it was falling down and bleeding really bad. Well it got about 100yds from the edge of the road and there was a huge blood spot, and after the blood was a

DRAAG MARK RIGHT TO THE ROAD!!!!!

Some one must have seen the deer and stopped and picked it up.

can you belive that. I just think thats horrible.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: This is horrible

yes it's horrible I agree..but I guess on the bright side it wasn't wasted.. This happens to someone every year sorry for your bud.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 AM

I woulda stole it too...sorry
Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

A-holes exist everywhere , just the breaks of the game . If losing a single deer to them is the worst of his worries then he's better off than some .
Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 AM

I could never ''steal'' a deer, but I'd definitely be interested in some new rattling horns or somethingl.....
Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, I shot a buck that a number of hunters were after. The problem was, it ran onto a neighboring property where it died. I called the neighbors to ask permission to look for it and was denied. Several sources, inclduing the LANDOWNER'S SON, later confirmed that the deer was recovered by the property caretaker and checked in as his own. I was a real monster 10 point and it still infuriates me after all these years.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That really would suck to lose a well-shot deer just because someone else found it before you did.

Would the person who dragged it out have been trespassing on private property to take the deer, or was this public land?

If I had found it myself, I'dsure like to back-trail it to find the shooter and help him locate his deer, but doing this would risk ruining someone else's hunt by tromping through the woods and calling out.

I would not however, let a freshly killed deer's meatgo to waste just because the shooter was unable to track it down in a reasonable mount of time, as long as it could be obtained without breaking the law.

Lots to consider there that would effect how long I'd wait before considering taking it to make sure it wasn't wasted:
-temperature which would spoil the meat quicker
-rain which may make the trailing very difficult
-type of wound and amount of blood
-coyote population which may chew it up before you get there
Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard of people taking other people's tagged deer while the shooter went to get help to drag out the animal. [:@]

On the other hand, in this case, it's possible somebody drove by the field at 7am and saw the deer laying there.... then drove by 8 hours later, the deer is still laying there and they figure the animal has been lost by the hunter so they took it. Maybe no bad intent, just utilization of the animal. Maybe....
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Well we dont have any coyotes just red fox, And it was not raining and he said there was a lot of blood and the temp was about 50 for the high and it was on a private field.

I agree with deer that have been hit with a car or something. I would deffently stop and take it if it was fresh. or if it wasnt and it was a buck i would at least take the head.

But with a hole in it and could possible see the arrow still in it. I could no take the deer. Maybe wait for a while if i had time to see if anyone comes out lookin then wave him over to his trophy.

But i just couldnt take a fresh deer that has been killed with a gun/bow.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Z71FullDraw05

I woulda stole it too...sorry
That's good to know. I hope the next time you shoot off that deck that the limb on that Hoyt hit's the railing and breaks. Couldn't happen to a "better" person.

Quick Reply: This is horrible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.