HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/163934-cousin-shot-monster-but-arrow-hit-limb-deflected-need-help.html)

ScentLok32 11-07-2006 09:34 PM

Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

Last monday evening my cousin and I were out hunting on his mom and dads farm and he had a 160" 10 point come by following a doe. The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush. His arrow ended up clipping a small twig and hit the deer perfect height even with the lungs but in the back leg. The arrow burried in bone after about 4 inches of penetration. We waited 3 hours before we got on the trail we were kind of pleased to see that the blood was bright red. We followed the deer in a circle for about 2 hours and he layed down 4 different times with the first spot of blood being about the size of a 55 gallon drum. Eventually we got to a point where we were following pin dot size drops of blood...This is where I need help...do you guys think the deer is dead and we need to search the area thoroughly again or did he clot up and is still walkin...

farm hunter 11-07-2006 09:38 PM

RE: Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

not dead - but who knows for sure.

Deer can lose a ton of blood and live if its not heart/lungs.

Sorry -

FH

Campo 11-07-2006 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ScentLok32

Last monday evening my cousin and I were out hunting on his mom and dads farm and he had a 160" 10 point come by following a doe. The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush. His arrow ended up clipping a small twig and hit the deer perfect height even with the lungs but in the back leg. The arrow burried in bone after about 4 inches of penetration. We waited 3 hours before we got on the trail we were kind of pleased to see that the blood was bright red. We followed the deer in a circle for about 2 hours and he layed down 4 different times with the first spot of blood being about the size of a 55 gallon drum. Eventually we got to a point where we were following pin dot size drops of blood...This is where I need help...do you guys think the deer is dead and we need to search the area thoroughly again or did he clot up and is still walkin...
I feel your pain...but.
Shooting through brush is never a good idea, for this reason.
Still....I hope he lives

scsohunter 11-07-2006 10:46 PM

If he happened to hit the main artery in the leg then he would be dead. But if you hit it in the meat he should be fine.

thenuge15 11-07-2006 11:36 PM

I've heard of someone who did that and didn't hit the artery. They waited until the next morning and it was dead. It would take more than 3 hrs for it to die probably. You may have pushed it.

ikillsdeer 11-08-2006 01:42 AM

im no expert, but i think you should have turned around after u seen the first empty bloody bed and came back another 4 or 5 hous later. sounds like u kept pushing him

Rickmur 11-08-2006 04:07 AM

The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush.

Had to[&:]????? This kind of mentality makes me sick. Now you have a deer walking around with a broadhead in his hind leg bone. When you bowhunt you take on a responsibility to not take the shot unless it's a good one, if the shot is not there you let him walk to be hunted another time. Now you come here and ask for help like we can wave a magic wand and find your wounded deer for you.[:@][:'(]

Fieldmouse 11-08-2006 05:08 AM

Prepare to cut off his shirt tail!!!!!!!!

wis_bow_huntr 11-08-2006 05:14 AM

I dont care how much little brush there is you dont start flinging arrows through brush especally at a buck of that size. You hit the leg, he will live to see another day. Deer will lose mass amounts of blood on a leg shot, I tracked a deos last year that I ended up hitting in the leg for more than 4 hours. Opening day of gun season she was taken out.

nopardaid 11-08-2006 06:27 AM

Well, he said his cousin shot it, so get off of his butt, he doesn't control him with puppet strings I assume. 2nd of all, don't act like you have never taken a bad shot. 3rd, Look for the deer when it is dark with a blue light or a lantern.I doubt he is dead, he probably just had blood drained from a muscle, and it petered off, but look more for sure.

GR8atta2d 11-08-2006 06:30 AM

Don't shoot arrows through brush! But it's done..hope he recovers. My opinion if he was hit hard in the muscle for sure and bleeding badly. This is a case where you should have pushed him. Got right on the trail and try and keep him bleeding. If you give him time it's gonna stop or at least slow to a point where tracking would be difficult at best.

But again it's too late for that also..good luck on the continued search

BobCo19-65 11-08-2006 07:31 AM

Personally, I don't think you should have waited anymore then about 20 minutes to go after him. Especially since you knew exactly where the arrow hit. Your only real chance of recovery was to have him bleed out.

Get the book "Finding Wounded Deer" by John Trout.

Rickmur 11-08-2006 06:17 PM

Well, he said his cousin shot it, so get off of his butt
If I were on his butt he and you both would know it:).

nopardaid 11-08-2006 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Well, he said his cousin shot it, so get off of his butt
If I were on his butt he and you both would know it:).
Ah, the ole' internet tough guy, I knew eventually I'd run across one on HNI.

buckmaster_27 11-08-2006 07:12 PM

why would you shoot through brush???

with an arrow.im shaking my head over this one.

t3 11-08-2006 07:52 PM

i shot a doe in the hip bonelast year, she couldnt run but she could still walk and we ended upwe trailing her for about a mile before we got the dogs to corner her up to finish her off. needless to say she might not have died from the shot but something definitely would have caught her with ease.

lowtempguru 11-09-2006 06:45 AM

Its amazing how many, cousins, brothers, best friends, brother in laws and co-workers take bad shots and sendsomeonehere for helpto find their wounded lost deer..;)

ScentLok32 11-09-2006 04:30 PM

Thanks for the help nopardaid...All I was doing was tryin to help my cousin out cause he was pretty upset with the situation and get some opinions from people but I guess some people are perfect and thats not possible...

Matt/TN 11-09-2006 04:33 PM

did he find him>?

ScentLok32 11-09-2006 07:19 PM

Good news on the deer...just got a call about 15 minutes ago and my cousin saw the deer walking across a cut cornfield tonite with about 20 minutes before dark...said he was limpin pretty good but he was behind a doe so it sounds like hes gonna make it just fine...definitely a lesson learned the hard way for him but at least ill be able to say ill never make the mistake now...thanks for the advice though guys...:)

buckmaster_27 11-09-2006 07:32 PM

whatever nopar.........

guys who take bad shots give ethical and good hunters a bad name.they see a deer and force a shot instead of passing just because a deer is in range.

p.s i have yet to shoot a deer and not recover it.so get off my back.