Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stinking full moon.  No deer but a hog >

Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

I have yet to see deer during the day while there is a full moon. I went out this weekend, for what should have been a great hunt. Weather perfect. The only negative was the gun season started Sat.. But from the sound of it, the gun hunters were not seeing anything either. I saw hogs a few times, but let them walk until Sun. Sun. I didnt see any deer during light hours, they all quitmoving at first light, but did take the opportunity to get some pork. Not what I wanted, but still went home with some thing. Its been over 25 years of hunting to make me realize not to hunt during the full moon. Im going to sleep in from now on.

Here is the porker I shoot. A real nice 150+ eaten size. Take notice of the bow. Its my old Herters Recurve from 1978. She is still a good shooter.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Congratulations!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hunt with a recurve - congrats. Nice shooting.

Its been over 25 years of hunting to make me realize not to hunt during the full moon. Im going to sleep in from now on.
I hear that. This past weekend is usually great hunting here in MI - it's the beginning of the rut, not quite peak, but a great time to be in the woods. I hunted all weekend and didn't see a thing. The wind was wrong, it was warm on Sunday with no cloud cover to boot. Oh yeah, don't forget about that blasting moon.

Funny thing though - last night about 11pm I stepped out to listen to the 8 million yotes that were having a yipping howling contest (it was LOUD) and what do I see wandering through my back yard but a huge body deer. The moon was so bright I could easily see his body and rack - not bright enough to count points, but clearly a nice buck trolling for does - through my back yard!! The night before there were 7 does in the garden when my wife got home after dark - she saw one doe peeing.

No daylight deer though.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 AM

Nice hog and good shootin....
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice hog!! and with a recurve...awesome! congrats...

im definently starting to believe this full moon garbage. last full moon Nothing...this full moon..nothing. i knew today wouldnt be good. i betcha if i was out at midnight last night i could still seen my pins! it never really got DARK. i woke up at 5 and was groggy and wasnt thinking...HOLY chitt! the suns coming up..so here i am running around...STUPID MOON! made getting in and climbing easier though......
Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here - 4 hunts between Friday and Sunday and I saw a total of 4 does at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon. After they busted me trying to move to turn on my video camera, I didn't see another deer the rest of the weekend.

The full moon sucks. [:@]

Congrats on the pig though! That'll make for some good eats.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great work on the pork. I too dont have much luck with full moons. Thank goodness its almost over.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Never been a big fan of the full moon either. I bumped a doe out of her bed saturday just before noon and late sunday afternoon I saw a couple bucks and a couple does, no shot opportunities.

Nice porker, congrats!!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw 9 different deer Saturday morning and 7-8 on Saturday evening...Killed a doe with my flintlock about 5:30 Saturday evening....I do well up to a full moon, its usually the week after, when they have adjusted that I see less...Another thing I was hunting about 75 yards from where two cutovers corner each other...When you have a full moon you might try getting closer to the bedding area....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM

i would suggest to hunt the evenings on the full moon. i too don't like hunting mornings. i saw 30 deer friday and sunday evening. i saw one lone doe on sat. morning about 9:30. if ya hunt mornings hunt from 9-12.

Quick Reply: Stinking full moon. No deer but a hog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.