Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 you gotta love the rut >

you gotta love the rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

you gotta love the rut

Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Default you gotta love the rut

The rut is undoubtedly the most exciting time of all our seasons . That being said infirst 6 years of bowhunting, I've also found it to be the most interesting time of year. This is what I've learned thus far during the rut. You can hunt the hottest trail, hottest funnel, sure thing stand in the fricking county, but if SHE (she being the hot doe) walks down a different trail you are screwed. Plain simple up a creek without a paddle...no growl, grunt, rattle, bleat or scent would bring the 3 different class bucks i saw break stride this morning. let alone the 3 non shooter bucks that followed the same trail. Is their anything you can do during the rut other than be lucky enough that hot doe comes doe your trail?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: you gotta love the rut

use a doe attractor like "the can"
Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: you gotta love the rut

kwaldeier...the "can" is a doe in estrus call. sure a doe might come to the call for some reason or another...but its a call that is supposed to sound like a doe ready and wanting to be bred..which is supposed to make a rutting buck come looking for the "ready" doe he heard...

darian...only thing i can say is find the does and areas deer frequent and hope that your in the right spot at the right time. theres been studies on deer movement and bucks will roam MILES in search of does. sure the deer can be a little less weary and more active during the rut. but like you said..it can be a crap shoot. sometimes ya win...sometimes they do! its a great time to be in a tree where deer frequent though..they are on the move and more active now then ever in daylight hours. im in the same boat. been to busy all this week/weekend to hunt..but hitting it pretty hard all this coming week(my last of the season!!) but im beating myself on where i wanna be...its gunna be a crap shoot. hopefully i pick the right stand at the right time. i got atleast 4 or 5 stands i wanna hunt this friday and saturday. id like to sit on stand all day but i doubt i do lol. i just cant sit all day unless im seeing deer. so ill probably get to hunt 4. 2 mornings..2 evenings. hopefully i do good pickin! good luck!! if your in a tree and theres deer in the area your doing good!