Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer 2, Deerwhisperer 0 >

Deer 2, Deerwhisperer 0

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer 2, Deerwhisperer 0

Old 11-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer 2, Deerwhisperer 0

Those of you that have been following my posts know that i took up bow hunting this year. You also know i am a ground hunter.Man, it's harder than i thought it was going to be, but more exciting. Being the newbie i am i am gonna try to tell you the story about what happened today. Also at the end i will have a few questions about what i should have done differently.
These questions will just be for my refrence so i know what to do differently next time.
Ok,A friend took me hunting to a place i never been before.i get in the woods a bit before 6am. Being new to this area i just stumbled around in the dark and found me a place to set up. I lucked out, come day light i was about 70 - 80 yards from a field.I tried my luck at grunting and some doe bleats. A few about every 20 minutes. At 8:30 i just finished grunting and i look into the field to see 4 deer, 3 big does and a really nice 8 point. when i finished the grunting and saw them the 1st 2 does were looking in my general area. I watched and they moved toward me a bit then stopped at the edge of the woods.. I grunted again and they started moving towards me again. I grabbed my binocs and was checking out the buck. I glanced over to look at the does and they were gone. I grabbed my grunt and grunted once then put it down and grabbed my bow. I had the bow in my hand and put the release on and looked over my blind. 2 does, 20 yards staring me face to face. Nothing i could do, i could not even move. FinallyI eased back behind my blind hoping they would turn away.but then i could not see them after a few seconds i tried to look for them through the holes in the blind, BUSTED!! they snorted and ran off.1 ran about 60 yards and just looked at me. then bolted. seen a few more that morning but nothing ever came close. my friend was hungry so we went to lunch, came back and hunted the same spot and saw nothing.

What should i have done different: After it was all over i am thinking i should not have grunted those last 2 times since the deer was already heading in my direction. I am also thinking i should have just grabbed my bow and pulled back and waited till they were in range since the feild was only 70 - 80 yards away from me. Then i would have been ready when they came within 20 yards.
After they are staring you in the face at 20 yards there is nothing i can do. When they got to this point i should have been waiting for them.
Well let me hear it, i need to learn.

Also, should i have moved from that spot or did i do right by sticking it out there?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Deer 2, Deerwhisperer 0

hunting from the ground is very challenging no doubt. at ground level I tend not to call at that range. I just let things happen. At that range if you call they can pinpoint you so easily. As far as grabbing your bow...Go to www.deershack.com and find their bow harness. This is a hands free bow holder that holds it in shooting position for you it will be the 15-20 dollars you ever spend on bowhunting.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: DeerWhisperer

What should i have done different: After it was all over i am thinking i should not have grunted those last 2 times since the deer was already heading in my direction. I am also thinking i should have just grabbed my bow and pulled back and waited till they were in range since the feild was only 70 - 80 yards away from me. Then i would have been ready when they came within 20 yards.
After they are staring you in the face at 20 yards there is nothing i can do. When they got to this point i should have been waiting for them.
Well let me hear it, i need to learn.
-------------------------------------------------------------

OK brother, I agree that you should not have blown those last two times. Generally, if a deer can see you and you can see it, don't call. Deer have this uncanny ability to pick a man out of the trees, bushes, anything... it does not matter. I have been head to toe camo, in some brush trees next to me I mean I could barely see myself, and 2 does walked out of the tree line directly across from me ( about 45 - 50 yards )and raised their heads together and were stareing right at me. They snorted and stomped their hooves. They turned their heads bobbed them up and down..... I mean they had me pegged. My only saving grace was......They knew I was there, but they had no idea what I was. Make sure they don't see you move, and don't let them know what you are. Blend in !!!!!!

Next, About drawing when they are 50 - 70 yards away and waiting on them. Man, DW, you could wind up sitting there at full draw for 30 + minutes. And, I'm not saying you can't hold full draw that long, but I want to be there withpopcorn and a Dr. Pepper when you do it. You just have to try to pay attention, and do the best you can. Honestly, you will lose more than you win , against deer. But we keep on trying, cause when we do win it feels SOOOOOO SWEET.

Lastly, and I would not lie to you, don't look a deer directly in the fase. You know eye to eye contact. If a deer tries to look at you, you are better off closing your eyes or covering your face with your hat. Just don't look at them, cause it will usually mean Check-out time for the deer. You have to slow down and let things happen on the deers time table.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, should i have moved from that spot or did i do right by sticking it out there?

There was nothing wrong with staying there, that is just a go with your gut kind of decision. Let the spirit of the deer guide you.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:01 AM

It sounds like you are answering your own question. Maybe you should not have grunted the last times? who knows. I do know that deer have that magic ability to transport themselves a good ways in a short amount of time and just appear on ya giving you the stare down game, you can never look in one direction for to long! I think hunting on the ground for deer is like hunting harder times two! You have so many more chances to get busted then you do if you were in a tree. It took me a while but the trees is where I am now most of the time and you can move into position alot better 20 feet up.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Although i got busted twice within 20 yards it has been very exciting. If i would of had my trusty muzzleloader i could have easily had 3 deer yesterday. I think another place where i messed up was watching that buck (which was last) with my binocs. I should have stayed focused on that 1st deer, since it was closer to me.
But we live and learn, and sometimes learning is fun.