Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Temps and the Rut >

Temps and the Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Temps and the Rut

Old 11-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Spike

Default Temps and the Rut

Hey all...

Just looking for opinion on something. I will be hunting in NW Wisconsin over the next 5/6 days, and the temps may get to the mid to upper 50's, with clouds and little wind.

What are your thoughts on temps and the rut? Obviously, you do not want a heat wave. But, do you think temps in the upper 50's could kill the action? I am thinking that all should be okay, with the cloud cover and little wind. There also may be a shower or two, and, it will be the PEAK of the rut.

Wishful thinking?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Temps and the Rut

I would hunt it hard (and I'm sure you would anyways). With the showers moving in and out, the barometer will be moving and we know when the barometer moves, the deer move. 50's isn't exactly a heat wave, but moreless comfortable weather for sitting all day. I think the only thing the weather will affect is that you can't hang our buck over night without it spoiling.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Temperatures have no effect on the rut.
The rut is determined by photoperiod, or how much light reaches the does eyes. When the amount is just right, they go into esterous.
Tempteratures will effect deer movement though, and if the does arent moving, the buck movement will be slighty decreased.
With that said, they will still be moving, even of the weather is a bit warm.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Weather doesn't sound too bad. Here in Ohio its still post rut and the mornings are amazing here right now. So I would definitly do some morning hunting with colder temps. But I would seriously think about spending one of the days in your stand from sun up to sun down. GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Have you ever turned down a hot-N-Ready woman because it was just too hot?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bjanakos

Have you ever turned down a hot-N-Ready woman because it was just too hot?
'

Now that's funny!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM

The temps wouldn't bother me. I think the cloud cover is the key.
If it's sunny they will lay down and take a nap, but if it's cloudy they will
be up and moving.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

they say anything over 40 and the deer activity decreses. But anyday you can hunt is a good day.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Ohio Hunter3303, I think that you meant to say that here in Ohio it is still pre- rut.I amin NW Ohio ( Van Wert Co.) and if it is post rut, that was the fastest rut I have ever seen in my 20+ years of bowhunting!!
Weare just starting to see bucks with does up here.We really started seeing an increase is scrapes in the past week or so here. Early last week I had 4 bucks around me one evening, 2 sets of twos, so they were still together then. Now they are alone or with does. I really think it will start getting hot next week. Time to start using some vacation days. This evening I had really big bodies buck broadside at about 18 yards, but he was about 5 minutes to late. Just at that point of night where you couldn't really make out the rack. But he will be back hpefully. Good luck and hope you get one of our famous Ohio brusiers.