Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can't get to my morning stands.... >

Can't get to my morning stands....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't get to my morning stands....

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Can't get to my morning stands....

Getting to my morning stand is proving harder than I thought. I’ve only hunted 4 mornings, this year…..mostly because I can’t get to them without bumping deer after deer. I did so, this morning.

I honestly think I’m going to hunt a little woodlot in the morning (I can access the edge of it)……and then go into my rut honey hole around 10:30 for a “rest of the day” sit.

Do you all have places that you can access in the mornings during the rut that are good? I think I have REALLY missed the boat, this year….and feel REALLY unprepared for this situation.

Help.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can't get to my morning stands....

The deer you bump in the dark will soon be replaced by other deer that have no idea that you're lurking above them . Hunt the morning stand anyway .
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a stand that is pretty much a morning only one, and I have bumped deer out of there, but they seem to spook less in the pitch black. I just make my entrance as fast as I can, get set up, and sit quiet. I try to get in though so there is about 1/2 hour of full dark left, just so things can settle down. I would say hunt that stand, just get there real early, although your other plan is also a good one.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I probably bumped 10-15 deer walking to my stand......but I COULD go in a different way, next time. Thing is.....I need to get 70 more yards to get to where I want to sit all day......and I'd bump a LOT more if I did that, I think.

I'm thinking I'm going to go somewhere else.....and go in there mid-morning for the rest of the day.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a plan. I didn't know it was that many deer, which would be a lot of commotion in the dark. I think the mid-morning idea is a real good one though. You would be well settled in by the time prime-time rolled around and there would have been very little disturbance for several hours. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had MANY instances where I've "bumped" deer at 4:30am just to shoot them by 8am. Deer are pretty confident in the dark. I've had occasions where I've walked afield and spotted and gotten blown at by bucks, but just kept on trucking, keeping an eye on them, they never left the field and as soon as my phone vibrated shooting hour in my pocket, I put a hole in them.

How you walk in can be as important as what you see or who sees you. Walking in quickly, quietly, and deliberately is important. Act like you own the place and you can get away with a lot...I've literally walked past deer at 20yrds in open field in the morning just to sit down at the next tree line and shoot them at the hour.

I once bumped a deer getting to within about 40yrds at 4-5am, then had him walk behind me scenting my path(boots covered in estrus) all the way to my blind, then he just hung out on the field and went back to business as usual onceI got there...too easy.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's what I did......

I walked in quietly along a creek leading to my woodlot. I thenbumped a couple of deer in the woods adjacent to me....and heard them scamper off. I took a few more steps......there some more go.....few more steps......more.

So......I RAN to my stand. I figured I'd sound like a couple fo themrunning.....and they wouldn't be spooked (I've read this.....but never tried it). I stopped about 3 times.......NOTHING. Either I spooked them ALL......or I quit spooking them, entirely. Who knows?

If you bump a deer in the dark.....and shoot one, later.....how do you know it's the same deer?

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

twice this year I bumped deer walking to my moring stand and both times they were right under my tree 5 minutes after I settled in. Most of my deer that I have shot in the moring are far enough away when I get there by the time shooting light rolls around they have no idea that I'am there.
Good Luck
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

SB,
I'm glad I read this, I've got the answer!

My Dad's Land/home is the same way. Here is what you do - take a friend with you to your stand and go really early. Use a red flashlight to navigate. Once you're in the stand (and you shouldn't be wasting any time, even if that means making some noise, have your friend simply walk out of the woods in a none aggressive, and non-sneaky (if that's a word) way. Deer don't seem to be able to tell that two came in and only one left. Also, it may not help with this year since we're already in it, but from now on, you should be taking walks through these woods regularly, and don't sneak.
When I used to sneak into my Dad's honey hole it was the same every time - the deer would let me get close and then run away. Sometimes some would return. However, my father walks his dog across his 98 acres twice a day and one of them is in the wee hours of the morning, and his dog wears a cow-bell. The intent of the bell was to alert a mother black bear that sometimes frequents his property that they were coming through and not startle her. The deer just seem to trot about 40 to 50 yards away since his dog has gotten older and doesn't usually chase them anymore. The dog often takes small breaks to sniff things out, so stopping at a stand while I ascend isn't a big deal to them. It is pretty cool once you've set it all up.

That's my advice, take it or leave it, but good luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Game forecast says 9-11 and 3-5 (basically) are the best times for tomorrow. If I want to get to my honey hole (which is about 70 yds into the woods I tried to access, today). Should I wait 'til about 8:00 and go in? I hunted about 70 yds shy of where I'm heading tomorrow (hopefully). I've got another spot I could hunt until noon.....and then go in there. But.....I'm wondering if waiting 'til light helps me any?? I suppose the deer were bedded down where I bumped them this morning. BUT....that's a long ways from where they normally bed.

Heck I don't know......

Jeff

Quick Reply: Can't get to my morning stands....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.