Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bucks do you pass on? >

How many bucks do you pass on?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bucks do you pass on?

Old 11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many bucks do you pass on?

question....when you guy's say pass do you mean that you had a good opportunity to take the deer and choice not to ... or you saw the deer and maybe with a grunt call or something that sort you could have made it happen, but otherwise he was out of range???

this year was first year i have "passed on a buck" we had 3 in the freezer for meat and i wanted something a little bit bigger, but most years we are lucky to get one or two deer between 4 of us hunting (my brother and i hunt very hard so really 2 hunters, but dad and cousin do go out and hunt)........our ratio is something in the range of 10-12 does per buck.....usually in most areas ( all public land for me) so there is no room for passing on a deer if i want some jerky or burgers later in the year...
Old 11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seen 16 bucks last year had the chance to take 6. Seen 6 bucks this year had the chance to take 2. If he want make P&Y I want shoot so I only kill a buck once every 2 or 3 years (only allowed one buck a year)but i kill 1 or 2 does every year for the freezer.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will probably pass on anything not 6 or better. I killed a spike this year for my first bow buck and have another tag. I would like to fill it with a bigger deer. If it gets late in the year the state of my freezer will play a larger role.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not big on passing bucks up but I'm always looking to get one bigger than my biggest. So far this season I've passed a fair 6pt but the rut is just ahead!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 PM

ive passed 2 6's 1 being a decent one the other just a little basket a 3 pointer that walks down the same run 10 yards from my stand everytime im in my stand, a spike that bedded under my stand for 45 minutes, a nice 8 and a basket 8........since teh rut is kicking in im hoping to see the big 10 i saw on opening day 40 yards out...hes a monster so hopefully he will be chasin this weekend.

We have seen tons of bucks at our property but since hte season opened on Oct. 1st we have only seen 3 does so i hope more does move in on our property and run around.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have passed on 11 differant bucks this year & shot 1.I have pictures of 19 differant bucks since July so I have a good Idea what kind of deer are out there. It was just a waiting game and it does pay off.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Spike

I honestly can't count on how many bucks I've passed on. I could have shot four of the same ones off the top of my head three or more times this year. Two being a little 2x2 and the other a young basket4x4. But of the other two, one is a 3x5 with a forked g2 (similair to that ofa muley) but is too small (16"spread 6"tines), and the other a perfectly even 4x4 that would gross score roughly just over 100. I have seen 4 bucks in the 130 class or higher this year, but have not had any ethical shots presented to me. I am hunting a specific deer (I know... not a good idea to hunt just for one specific and he is at least Iwouldsay inthe140 class, He's beatiful, I've seen him twice.

Oh, and he'll beat my dad's first buck ever with a bow from last year... HA HA HA. yeah there's some rivalry. LOL... below is a pic of my dads deer from last year. (134 gross, I can't remember exactly)

Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guysand gals, Knowing this makes me feel better.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on one too many this year.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course every year is different,depending upon when and if I see a buck that meets my personal standards.I didn't kill a buck in the archery season last year,I saw 13 bucks and legitimately passed on on 7,one of them being an eight pointer.This year I only hunted six times before killing an eight pointer,I had seen 9 bucks in total and passed on 4.(my definition of passing is within my range and having presented itself either broadside or slightly quartering away.)

I would like to get to a point where if I wouldn't mount it I wont kill it.We are able to take 4 deer a year in NY so it is not a venison issue.

Quick Reply: How many bucks do you pass on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.