Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first post...LONG...but also my first deer >

My first post...LONG...but also my first deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first post...LONG...but also my first deer

Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 AM

Default My first post...LONG...but also my first deer

Well I finally did it. I've beenbowhunting actively now for the last 3 years and I finally shot my first deer. Shot a nice 7 pointer yesterday on halloween. I got to my stand at around 5:45 which was a little late but no big deal. Got all set up and started waiting. The stand I hunt is basically a funnel for two large areas of hardwoods. It's in the flats of a creek bottom which is about 20 yards wide. On one side there is a steep hill, and on the other is a gradual slope which leads out to pasture land. My stand is right in the middle, I was kind of worried about my scent swirling in the bottoms,but there is sign everywhere so I figured why not?? I also have to share my woods with cattle which Im not so hip on. Anyway, at about 8:00 about 6 doe and a small spike buck came sprinting down the gradual slope right at me, they kept running and they never looked back. So I sat for about 10 minutes and decided to do some rattling. Ive never seen it work but I figured why not. I hit the horns for a couple of minutes and grabbed my bow. I've always been taught to grab your bow right after you rattle and start looking. Im looking hard for about 5 minutes whenI notice a calf staring at something behind me. I focus a little more and see a nice, tall 6 pointer about 35 yards away in some thick brush. Then out of the corner or my eye I see my 7 pointer walking down a different trail. Both bucks see each other and start to square off, well they never fought but I thought I was in for a good show. The calf that was under my stand took off running which in turn scared both the bucks and they too took off running iin opposite directions. Well I sit there and start hitting my grunt call. After about 5 grunts here comes my deer. He followed a trail and came broadside to my right 22 yards away right in my shooting lane. I drew back, stopped him and released. THWACK!! He started hobbling off and piled up about 25 yards later. I was SOO excited I almost fell out of my stand. Anyway, I gutted him and found that I not only hit both lungs, but his heart was mince meat. Those muzzy 3 blade 100 grains do a chore on lungs and heart.

I have never seen rattling horns work before, but now I am a firm believer. I also belive I amdecent at my scent control, cause he came down wind of me and neverflenched.

Anyway sorry for the long story but I just love telling it. It will be a day I will remember for the rest of my life. I will attach pictures as soon as Im off work in the morning.

Good hunting.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My first post...LONG...but also my first deer

Congrats on your 1st! You will indeed remember that for life!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!! The first is always the best!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story, and welcome to the forums.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Congrats!
Got any pictures?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome, and congrats on the buck. Love to see a pic?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice work buddy, any pics?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 PM

Congrats! Nice story, indeed you will remember it forever. Bring on the pics!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first!

Quick Reply: My first post...LONG...but also my first deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.