Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oct 29th~ 7 point >

Oct 29th~ 7 point

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oct 29th~ 7 point

Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Oct 29th~ 7 point

Alright folks... Here is the story and a few pics from my phone of the buck i shot on Sunday the 29th! I have been busy and havent had a chance to post it yet. WhenI get better picturesI will post them.

This weekend started with me ending up not hunting on saturday because of the wind. So after going out on saturday night,I slept for a few hours and got out to the public hunting land thatI have been hunting this year at about 5:45.I got up in my tree and set up before first light in an area theI have hunted all except once whenI go out there. I have seen deer 7 out of 8 hunts thatI have setup there. This area is also littered with rubs. Around 7:10I heard something walking in front of me to my right.... well, it turned out to be another hunter who slept late.About 10 minutes afterI lost sight of him, I happened to look up to see a doe walking about 30 yards away in front of me. I let her walk due to the wind, and also that in the countyI was in, there is a two deer limit, andI didnt want to take two antlerless deer before gun season. That was allI saw in the morning, and at about 10:30I decided to get down. While i was climbing down, the same hunter came walking back. I talkedto him for a few minutes then he headed out of the woods to leave.

WhenI got down,I left my climber attached to the tree sinceI was planning on hunting there for the evening. I decided to take a walk to a couple other areas, including whereI shota button buck on the second day of the season, which also happpened to be my first deer with a bow. I got about 30 yards away from a thicket that the deer travel through. I heard crashing and looked up to see a deer take off, I was pretty sureI saw antlers. I then continued walking, and went around the thicket, and looked up to see a flock of turkeys walking by at 30 yards. I have a fall turkey permit, so I decided to see if I could at least get them to respond to my calling. Im not sure if it is because my calling was bad, or the wind, but i didnt get a response from them. It was about 11:30 then, so I walked back to my truck to eat lunch and maybe take a nap.

After sleeping in my truck for about 45 min to an hour, I got back up in the same tree and settled in at about 2:00. I didnt see anything but leaves falling and squirrels up until about 4:30 when I had a small doe come in behing me. She gotabout 25 yards away and started feeding, but only stuck around for a few min before she turned around and went back the way she came. Then at 5:30 I heard something walking behind me, I figured with my luck it was another squirrel or hunter. But to my surprise, it was the 8 point that i had seen two days in a row, two weekends ago. He came in folowing where the doe had walked, and before I knew it, he was at 15 yards rubbing every tree in his way! I grabbed my bow from the holder on my platform and began turning when he looked in my direction. I froze, not wanting him to spook. He then began walking to rub another tree, so i turned and drew my bow. He walked into an opening at about 21 yards. I bleated with my mouth to stop him, and let him have it! I was a little concerned at first when I saw my fletchings sticking out his side, but as he ran, the arrow must have penetrated farther, and eventually snapped in half. I watched him run about 50 yards and crash! I was so excited I was ready to jump down from my tree! Since I saw him go down, andlight was begining to fade,I got my stuff together and climbed down to find good blood where I shot him. After following the blood trail, I was absolutely amazed at the size of his body when I got to him. It turns out that he broke off his left brow tine, so he only has7 points, but ohwell. AfterI dressed him out, I had to call my uncle to help me drag him out.I ended up only findingthe back half of my arrowstill in him. When i shot him, he was quartering away pretty hard. The shot went in at the last rib and came out right behind the shoulder in his "armpit."

Once I got him home, my dad and brother pulled in the driveway from camping and bowhunting about 4 hours away in the Wayne National Forest, where we gun hunt. Funny thing is that they didnt see anything!

Monday night, before we butchered him, we put him on the scale to find he weighed 170 lbs dressed, which is as much as me!! By the way, since he is my first antlered buck with a bow, he is going to the taxedermist tonight.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Default RE: Oct 29th~ 7 point

here is one more pic... sorry about the poor quality, they are from my phone. When i get better pics back, i will post some of them

Old 11-01-2006, 10:04 AM

excellent job. those quartering away shots can be deadly. hunt on!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!!!! Nice deer.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a great buck!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
Old 11-01-2006, 10:47 AM

congrats thats a fine buck
Old 11-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Great job, nice buck!

Chris
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

thats a nice one...the body is huge on him! lol....congrats
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Spike

Nice buck, Great job!!!!

Quick Reply: Oct 29th~ 7 point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.