Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting night tonight >

Interesting night tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting night tonight

Old 10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Interesting night tonight

I was on stand in my favorite funnel between two doe bedding areas. At 4:15 pm, I saw a decent buck across the creek from me. At first I thought it was the big 8 pt I had seen earlier this season. See pic below.

As he made his way away from me, into some brush, I gave him 3 grunts on my grunt call. I pointed it to the side and behind me to try and make it seem like the call came from another direction. He was about 60 yards away and I didn't want him to pick me off in the tree. Well, he turned and crossed the creek and came past me at 14 yards. When he first crossed the creek at about 30 yards, I eyeballed him and decided to pass. This was not the big 8 I thought it was, This one grossed about 134". Not quite my goal for this year. Any time you pass on a net P&Y, it makes you feel a little insane. I do know that if I shoot the first 130s buck to come by, I won't get my 140 buck. It's that simple.

About 20 minutes later, I saw another 8 pt across the creek. At first I thought it was the same one, but as I watched him walk away from me, I noticed that his g-2 was at least 10". The first bucks g-2 was only 7" (g-3s were 8"). This second buck was the big one in the pic and he was getting away. I tried grunting at him a couple of times but he wasn't in the mood. I backed off the calling and will wait for another opportunity.

It was a great night for me. I like it when you can make a mature buck change course and come right to you! This was the second largest buck that I've passed on. Kind of tough. It's a gamble, I might eat tag soup, but that's the way it goes. There is a lot of season left. Hopefully things will work out.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting night tonight

I tell ya Greg, that would be a hard buck to pass on!!!!!!!! I like the way you set your sights on the big one! Good luck!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Greg, your the man!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love evenings like that, get's the old heart pumping! He's a good ole buck,best ofluck with him. I will behunting all of next week, and I for one, will not be passing on any P&Y'ers!!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good hunt, hopefully you tag the brute in the pic.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya Greg, I have passed on a couple of P&Y boys myself this year and its really hard to do. Like you said though if you don't let some walk you will never attain your goal, what ever that may be. To me the season has just started with the onset of the rut fast approaching. Good luck on that brusier.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I hear ya Greg, I have passed on a couple of P&Y boys myself this year and its really hard to do. Like you said though if you don't let some walk you will never attain your goal, what ever that may be. To me the season has just started with the onset of the rut fast approaching. Good luck on that brusier.
I passed a 120-130'' the day I shot my big boy(morning), it is hard to do. Tag soup is no good, but I have eaten some in the past. Kind off a pass I got my head caught in my safety strap, but I was not going to shoot, LOL

Motown said it well!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tell you, I don't know how you guys do it!

I'm a meat hunter myself but I respect you guys that are dedicated trophy hunters.

Passing on bucks like that, yougot to be dedicated. This says volumes about the kind of hunter you are. My hat is off to you.

Hope you find the one your looking for.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is a nice buck... Good luck with that 140
Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM

I admire your committment to your standards.
Still, I think you are crazy for passing a 130" deer.
Jk Jk

Quick Reply: Interesting night tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.