Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow?

Old 10-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Bow?

I'm tired of limping along with my old bow and I'm looking at getting a new one. I've been hunting and competing with my old bow for 4yrs now and I'd like to step up my game. My "cannon" is LOUD, big, heavy and old. I've got a 70% let off on a max 90# (87# actually). Even with it I'm stacking shafts at 30yrds, about a palm at 50yrds, but I feel like it's holding me back.

I'm looking at Mathews bows, I'd really like to get a parallel arm bow, like their outback or switchback. I hunt mostly, so I want a lighter, more compact bow, but I want to keep all of my draw weight if I could, like at least 70#. More let off would be nice, but not necessary.

What's your opinions on these bows? I don't know enough about bows to really make an educated choice, but I do know what I've been using so far has been working, but it needs replaced.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Bow?

matthews are never a bad choice,
but we cant pick for you, you need to go try them all and choose.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:34 PM

I've shot the Switchback and while it's a good bow, I very honestly don't feel like it's as good as the hype or worth the money, but that's just me.

Take a look at Hoyt, Reflex, Bowtech or Elite. Head to your local shop and shoot as many as you can.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 PM

Bowtech: You can't go wrong.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I've shot the Switchback and while it's a good bow, I very honestly don't feel like it's as good as the hype or worth the money, but that's just me.

Take a look at Hoyt, Reflex, Bowtech or Elite. Head to your local shop and shoot as many as you can.
Ditto. It may be worth while to wait a few months and shoot the '07 models as well.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM

Like everyone else said go shoot all the bows out there. When i went out to get a new bow a few years ago my dad made sure that i shot at least 10 bows before i picked one. I shot one of the newer Mathews back then and didnt like it at all. I had already shot a reflex and didnt like the cam and 1/2 so i didnt shoot any hoyts. I tried Parker, Mathews, Martin, and all the bowtechs. I finally settled on the Mighty Mite because it felt right to me. Just shoot what feels comfortable to you and dont go by what other people tell you about a bow cuz it might not work for your setup.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Hey Nomercy,

I have a four year old PSE. Never thought I would consider upgrading because it is fast enough and kills deer,but Bowtech has a new bow for 2007 called the Guardian. It is supposed to be one bad mother. Do a search for it on here. There are pics and specs on it. It also has a twin, called the commander. It is a couple of inches longer ATA. The Guardian is the one bow that has made me chang my mind. It is way different looking. Almost ugly in a good looking way. It is being released very soon, I believe in November, and the folks who have shot it say it is unreal.

I will find one and shoot it. If it shoots well, then I will be bringing it home.

Just thought I'd share the info about the Guardian.

Good luck in your search.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001
Ditto. It may be worth while to wait a few months and shoot the '07 models as well.
Id second this, judging by the new lines of Hoyts, Bowtechs, and Mathews that we have seen so far (We have yet to "officially" see any company's lineup) there should be some awesome bows coming out for 2007.
I would say wait, and shoot the new lines of bows.