Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First archery kill >

First archery kill

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First archery kill

Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default First archery kill

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/cj29pug/10-30-06012.jpg I finally managed to get my first archery kill here in VA. I shot this 2 point/spike at about 30 yards yesterday at 1645. I thought it was a doe, but wasn't disappointed when I found it. The shot was high, as the deer did attempt to duck the string. The Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. managed to sever the spine, but didn't kill him. He had the use of his front legs and was able to crawl, not effectively though on the side of a leaf covered hill. He managed to get into a ditch and couldn't move anymore. I walked up to him and shot him again to lessen his misery. He let out a groaning when the arrow hit and was dead a minute later.

I had been hunting since 0800 and had seen 3 does earlier in the day, 0820 to be exact, but I got busted trying to draw from 10 yards. I moved my climber to a different tree at 1130 and stayed there until I got a shot on this guy. Very warm day with temps in the 60's, but the wind was good. I was 17 feet up and using Tinks 69 and "The Can" and some grunting and some rattling. I believe the "The Can" is what brought him in, as he appeared within 5 minutes. I got him gutted and loaded with the last remaining daylight.

I got him home, took some pictures and proceeded to skin and quarter him. Not as much meat as I thought, maybe 25-30 pounds. A bit disappointing, but I'll take what I can get. I'm estimating him to be a first year buck, meaning that he was born this last summer. His spikes were only 3". I still have the head and I need to age him with his teeth.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First archery kill

CONGRATULATIONS!! That deer will be mighty tasty!! When's supper? lol
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM

First bow kill...Doesn't it feel good??
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go Devil Dog!! Semper Fi.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on the spike. Now I suppose you are addicted to this bow huntingstuff ....

My first was about a 135 lbs doe, my first year hunting.I can still remember it like it was yesterday, although it was about 7 years ago..

congrats!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Congrats!!! Pics please.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Just got the link for the pic to work. As far as addiction goes, I may never use a muzzleloader or rifle for a deer again! I believe that bowhunting, if you are going to be successfull at it, requires more awareness of everything. This is my first season and my 11 time out in pursuit of a deer. Lots of hours on stand not seeing much of anything in October. It is just so amazing to get them in close.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

CONGRATS!! the first one is a memory you will never forget! I know exactly how you feel since i shot my first just last year! I opened up this year with my first buck also a 6 point! That patience in the stand really does pay off huh?

Good luck to you the rest of the season!

-Sparrow
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great work on your first. The only problem now is that you will be addicted to hunting them and you wont be able to think of anything else. Welcome to the addiction!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM

Good job!

Quick Reply: First archery kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.