Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I "let" him hunt? >

Should I "let" him hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I "let" him hunt?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Should I "let" him hunt?

I'm with Hillbillyhunter, if the guy knew it was only 15 acres and still tries to impose on you then how respectful do you think he's going to be once he's actually hunting the property?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't even think twice about your decision there Bob. 15 acres?? If you told me that you and your son had this place that was fifteen acres, I would not be brazen enough to even ask for permission to hunt it. No reasonable hunter worth his salt would imho. It might be different if this was a guy you knew well and had hunted with before that had some bad luck story, but a stranger, NO WAY!
I'm with Hillbillyhunter, if the guy knew it was only 15 acres and still tries to impose on you then how respectful do you think he's going to be once he's actually hunting the property?
Excellent point.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 AM

I didn't read all of the replies, but 15 acres is plenty of land for bowhunting IMO. We hunt LESS than that and we have had 3 at a time out there before. Comfortably.

That being said, I wouldn't have let him, especially with all the work you have put into the last 4 years, ESPECIALLY if he already has another place to hunt. 20 MINUTES?! I'd LOVE to have a 20 minute drive, I have 45! I just don't trust people I don't know in the woods. My husband and I only take responsible people out to our property with us, people we have known for years!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I guess it is just a different way of life in the midwest. Permission to hunt private property is not needed here. Any tom, dick and harry can go onto your land if it is not posted. If a guy comes to me and asks permission, you bet I'm letting him hunt. If he has the fortitude to ask when it is not required, then he is more than willing to hunt my property.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Now how is your son suppose to make friends if he don't have a spot for them to hunt....[&:](JK)

I would have to pass on finding him a spot to hunt. It will limit your options on which stand to hunt that day. It is nice to switch around if you can,it keeps the deers guessing. Especiallyif the wind isn't in your favor to hunt the spot you have picked out.

Only 20 minutes to drive is a pretty good deal. It's not like he don't have a place to hunt. Maybe he is to lazy to drive that far?Maybe to lazy for scent control? I think it would beeasier to tell him no now. Than have to tell him it isn't working out later!!

good luck!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:29 PM

Hey crutch,

I don't think it as anything to do with wheather he has a place or not. I call it like I see it.... He is a lazy so and so , who wants to save his own deer and hunting area, while he comes and imposes on you and your area. He sits in your stands , shoots in the areas you took the time and effort to prepare, and kills your deer. He can tag out at your place, and have a sanctuary for the deer at his place.

I say this, because I have seen it before down here in South Arkansas. A guy came to hunt a family lease. we had 500 acres and a lot of deer. He had his own lease, but he didn't want to hunt it. He asked permission one time, and the family said ok, for one time. He came out and then he kept coming out. He tagged out on our lease, and didn't kill ( or at least tag ) any off of his. I do believe he was killing deer on his place , but just not taging them. Poaching, ( taking twice the limit ). But I could not prove it.
Finally, tagged out, the family told him to leave and that he was never welcome again.

Some hunters are rude, unethical asses. But most all of you guys on here, are pretty cool. i WOULD BE PROUD TO Hunt with just about everyone here. If the words reflect your deeds, you are a very ethical bunch. In fact if you are coming through So. ARk. some day during a deer season, give me a holler, and I'll try to hook you up that day to hunt at my lease. Just don't expect a booner down here. Hell, down here we can't hardly pronounce it, much less ever get to see one.

Good Hunting and God Bless

Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 PM

15 acres is hardly big enough for 1 let alone 3 , if you hunt it more than acouple of times i would suspect the deer will be lookin for bigger spaces
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Don't even think twice about your decision there Bob. 15 acres?? If you told me that you and your son had this place that was fifteen acres, I would not be brazen enough to even ask for permission to hunt it. No reasonable hunter worth his salt would imho. It might be different if this was a guy you knew well and had hunted with before that had some bad luck story, but a stranger, NO WAY!
Well said.

2 people on 15 is too tight already!!!