Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how old

Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM

Default how old

how old do u think a kid shoud be to hunt by him self were i live it is 18 i think it shoud be there parents choice
Old 10-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how old

When there mature enough and know the safety. I'd say around 15
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

The problem is some mature better than others so an older age group might be necessary. If I remember, PA it's 16.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was huntin by my self at ten and i am currently 14 i dont know how much it has helped me so i would say around 12
Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I think it definitely depends on the kid. My husband has been hunting by himself since he was 13. Got his first bear at 16. Yes, with his bow. I think 18 is a little excessive, personally. My 2 and 4 year old are being brought up in the woods with us. My daughter started going on actual hunts with us last year and my son will likely go next year or the year after. He went on his first tracking a few weeks ago. They will know the safety issues, the ethical issues, and the hunting aspects of it all by the time they are ready to go alone.It is really a question of knowlege and responsibility...NOT AGE!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe kids should have good enough spelling and grammar to make at least a passing grade in English before being allowed to go hunting on their own.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If I remember, PA it's 16.
yes in PA you must be at least 16 years old to hunt alone.although i dont believe that any certain age can determin if someone is mature enough to hunt by themselves. that depends on the individual.