Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stopping deer

Old 10-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stopping deer

How many of you stop a deer before taking a shot? For quite a few years, I never gave much thought to it and just waited for the deer to stop . . . or, if the deer was walking slowly enough, stopping it didn't seem to make much of a difference in impact location. IMO, making a sound of any kind to stop a deer is going to put it on instant alert and make it more susceptible to jumping the string.

I'm not advocating taking risky shots at deer moving at a speed that could result in a shot farther back than you wanted, but I don't want to alert the deer either. What do y'all do?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Stopping deer

After not stopping a slow walking buck for fear of spooking him and shooting him a little far back. I think its best to stop them. I recovered the deer, but not until the next morning. I will probably stop them from now on. Just a soft grunt (voice) will do. Be ready at full draw before you do.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will try to stop him if he is getting out of my comfort range, if he is not approching that range I will wait till he stops.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had the same post up a couple weeks ago...may wanna dig er up. im still torn. i "bahed" at a buck at 20yds..i was already at full draw..anchored..pin centered on his vitals. the second he froze the arrow was gone. 260fps at 20yds..that arrow was there in no time. lighted nock told me the arrow was flying true right where i sent it..then...i watched him drop down a GOOD BIT. enough for me to hit high above the spine and send him away with my arrow...almost 100% sure hes still alive. so now im torn on what to do. alot of guys say stop him and shoot...thats what i did. he didnt look directly at me but did indeed turn semi alert..froze and looked in my general direction..but the arrow was already gone. so i dont know what ill do on my next shot...maybe stop him then wait for him to look the other way or something..i dont know..amazing how fast deers reaction time is. if we had the reaction time of a deer thered be virtually no car accidents i bet!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what the answer is to this.With a rifle I would grunt,whistle,blat,yell etc..With the bow I am torn,I likely would and then make a decision based on whether the deer pinned me or not and the deer's body language.Tough call!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always wait for the deer to stop on there own but whenthat doesn't happen , I'll try to stop them with a grunt from my hands free grunt tube .
Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 AM

Mauser06

Try telling those deer I've pegged with my Toyota 4x4 that their quick. They are nothing compared to a Japaneese Rice Rocket heading down the highway at 65mph....LOL....

By the way everyone, Don't buy a Toyota truck. I have only hit 2 deer in my life. One back in like 1995 driving a 1993 toy 4x4. The other in 2005 in my 2001 toy 4x4... Maybe I could get a Nissan....

stay away from these trucks.. the deer are watching and waiting on them.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Spike

I just use a "Blaaaat". The technique stopped an 8pt and a doe this season. Both are in my freezer now.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bleat if i think its not stopping and is going out of range . I've heard of people whistling loud when gun hunting and the deer is fleeing away and it sometimes stops them for the shot
Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I whistle softly, and with any 9most)of todays bows, they arent going to jump anything inside 35 yards IMO.

Quick Reply: Stopping deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.