Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stopping deer

Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stopping deer

Will Primos does it all the time. and it works.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I try to let them stop on there own but if they don't I give a bleat with my mouth. This usually works. Only one time have I had it scare a deer.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt by stalking so getting one to stop is almost a must. I like to let out a reasonably loud whistle. Sometimes a low grunt to bring them in closer for the shot. I also find that by getting between the deer and a thicket or swamp where the deer like to run can stop them by itself. The element of surprise alone can get a deer to stop.

I whistle softly, and with any 9most)of todays bows, they arent going to jump anything inside 35 yards IMO
Do not be fooled by this as they certainly will jump the shot from time to time. Good Luck
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM

I make a ticking sound out the side of my mouth......You know, like the cowboys use to get their horse moving......That fast ticking noise....

It's not real loud, but it gets their attention enough to stop them. I use it as a last resort....I hope the deer stops on it's own, but they just don't always cooperate.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM

a soft whistle willusually work
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know I'm torn too. I don't have any experience shooting deer with a bow YET (I'm working on that this year). A rifle it doesn't matter as soon as you pull the trigger the bullet is through the deer, they can't dodge a speeding bullet, I THINK. But an arrow, A LOT slower than a bullet. I've seen them jump arrows on TV. Then I've heard hosts on TV say to aim a little low cause he IS going to jump the string. I don't know about that. What if he doesn't and you just skin him? Ahhh, the unknown. We try to minimize that as much as possible as responsible hunters but we're dealing with wild animals and anything can happen.

My answer: YES and NO. [&:]
Old 10-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

meah he stops i shoot hit high and forward..........go back to the lodge shoot and figure out my rest was off[]other than that the ten point woulda been dead instead of trying to chase his does right now with a limp[:'(]least he will have a signature if he becomes a worle record "The Hole in the Horn Buck" The Same Broadhead in Shoulder Buck
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819
Then I've heard hosts on TV say to aim a little low cause he IS going to jump the string. I don't know about that. What if he doesn't and you just skin him?
Generally what they mean by aim low, is shoot for the heart. This way if they do jump string you still get lungs, if they don't then you've got heart.

I've done everything from whistle, grunt, and yelled "HEY!" all of which worked and provided dead deer.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried a bleat to stop a 6pt today. He took off. He knew something was up. He came in from down wind and temps were about 75 at the time. I was starting to sweat so he knew it was time to bail. Next time will I try to stop one? I hope to find out in the AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I make a ticking sound out the side of my mouth......You know, like the cowboys use to get their horse moving......That fast ticking noise....

It's not real loud, but it gets their attention enough to stop them. I use it as a last resort....I hope the deer stops on it's own, but they just don't always cooperate.
I found that ticking noise works good, I will also use a whistle if the ticking does not work. Anything to get them to stop.

Quick Reply: Stopping deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.