Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

accuracy rate?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default accuracy rate?

hey guys. i was just wonderin how often you all have a bad shot while target practicing.

rarely do i ever mess up a shot at ten yards
at 20 yards, about every 5th shot is off by more than 6 inches
at 30 yards about every 3rd shot is off by almost a foot
40 yards.....lucky if i hit the target

im just curious how i compare to other compound bow hunters. somehow if feels like i could greatly improve my shooting but ive tried everything and still dont get any better. ive been taking about 20 shots a day. today i was shooting great at 20 and then all of a sudden i started shooting waaay too high. idk if its because i dont use a release because my draw length is about 3 inches too long or what but it really frustrates me. im not about to go buy a brand new $400 bow but i just want my groups at 20 and 30 to improve.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: accuracy rate?

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

my draw length is about 3 inches too long
You just found your problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BackwoodsBuck

my draw length is about 3 inches too long
You just found your problem.
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

idk how to lessen the length though. im only 15 and i know my parents arnt gonna let me spend my money on a bow. i had my uncle take a look at it but we could find no way to lessin it. should i limit myself to 10 or 15 yard shots?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditto. You'll have an immensely hard time trying to be accurate with a bow that doesn't fit.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just picked up a martin prowler se that had a 31 inch draw(my draw is supposed to be 28.5-29)...i could shoot 31 but wasn't consistent and felt like i was going to rip the side of my face of with the string if i messed up with form. its now at 28.5 and i shoot great with it....Bhunt46 get your draw adjusted
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM

idk how to lessen the length though. im only 15 and i know my parents arnt gonna let me spend my money on a bow. i had my uncle take a look at it but we could find no way to lessin it. should i limit myself to 10 or 15 yard shots?
First, to answer your question. You should limit your shoots to where you are extremely confident you can kill a deer.

Second, what kind of bow do you shoot? There are a lot of guys here that know more about bows than me. They might could tell you how to shorten the draw, if possible. You might could just buy a new cam for the bow to shorten the draw, but still not buy the new bow.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simplest solution is to take it to a pro shop and have someone that knows what they are doing to look at it. If your draw is 3 inches too long its no wonder your groups won't improve. Not to mention your lucky you haven't ripped all the skin off your arm do to the string slapping your arm.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

Simplest solution is to take it to a pro shop and have someone that knows what they are doing to look at it. If your draw is 3 inches too long its no wonder your groups won't improve. Not to mention your lucky you haven't ripped all the skin off your arm do to the string slapping your arm.
Uhhhhh....yeah, what he said. On top of that, it sounds like the bow is out of tune as well. It sounds like your arrows are drifting, as evidenced by the 6" to 1 foot progression at farther ranges. Go to the shop and get all that ironed out, you will be MUCH more comfortable and lots happier.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BackwoodsBuck

What kind of bow do you shoot?

I shoot a bear bow with circular cams. it was given to me by a friend so im not exactly sure how old it is.

Quick Reply: accuracy rate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.