Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you think.... >

what do you think....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you think....

Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Default what do you think....

I have been reading all the posts about lost deer and thought that it won't happen to me this year....well it did....let me know what you think

Last night, it was a pretty windy afternoon. Right before sunset, the wind died down so I decided to do some rattling.....a little six point walked by but really had no interest....a few minutes later....a NICE buck walks out...30 yards from my stand...I pick up the binos real quick and saw he was a shooter....He stops at 31 yards, broadside and I let him have it.....at least so I thought.....at first I had no idea if I hit him or not. I grunted a few times and stopped him about 60 -70 yards out. Waited 15 minutes then climbed down just to see if I had hit him. Found the arrow broken about a inch from the broadhead and blood up to about 6 inches. Waited til this morning to pick up the trail.....found a few drops where he had stopped in the field and then started walking in the direction that he went. I would find a drop of blood every 5 - 10 feet. He did bed down about 130 yards from where I shot and this was where most of the blood was...not puddles, just drops.....he got up out of the bed and walked about 20 yards and then nothing......this is residential area so I started zig zagging the woods and found nothing else.....I was thinking the hit was shoulder blade because it only pentrated 6 inches and broke but there were no bloods in any of the blood so no lungs.....what do you guys think?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what do you think....

Very similar situation happened to me about 4 years ago. I shot a buck and only penatrated a couple of inches. He ran off and stopped about 20 yards from where I shot him, arrow sticking out and all. I was stupid and tried to tracking it an hour later. Tracked him for roughly 400-500 yards in the dark. Never found him. At the end of that season, one of the neighboring landowners found the skeleton of a buck, come to find out it was mine from early in the season. So the deer still could die, not always a garantee. Go back to the same spot you last found the blood,with a buddy, try to notice if he was traveling a certain way and comb the area.

Bad thing is, you evenwaited until the morning, and found where he had bedded down that night, and he still wasn't dead. That deer might make it if you gave him thatlong to lay.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:35 PM

Default RE: what do you think....

last blood I found was in some ladies backyard....walked the woods all around and found nothing.....just really bummed...